cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving the WB Shift//BKT setting (1D MKIV)

mgrabow
Contributor

So, I ocasionally shoot pics and videos of my reef tank with my Mark 4.   However because of the 20,000K color temp of the aquarium lights some white Balance adjustmentsn are needed.   I register a white balance reading to the camera but that only gets it in the ball park.  I need to fine tune it with the WB SHIFT/BKT feature.   However I cant find any way to save it so I can go back to it later.  

Here is a vido in case you all are curious...

http://youtu.be/1wNoDkaKSeA

18 REPLIES 18

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Custom White Balance Register  from the first Menu tab.  You can have five different WB's.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You can slao store WB in My Menu Settings.  The last menu tab, the star.

EB

Thanks but I am not asking about savint the white balance register.  The one I am asking about is where you move the joy stick across an X/Y screen to get the WB shift where you want it...

Maybe I am not understanding but you take a photo with at least a 50mm lens.  Have a full screen white piece of paper and do this at the venue you are shooting.  Save it and all you need do is apply it.

EB

mgrabow
Contributor
Well paper outside the tank does not work. Tried it. And well..inside the tank is of course an issue. So reefers (guys with reef tanks) put while plastic objects in the tank. But it never works just right. Its likely because of a disco effect that the surface of the water causes on the light that hits the subjects. Since there are different color bulbs you get different readings every time you register the image. Adjusting the wb shift gets it right on.

Typically I use either a wide angle for video or a macro for stills.

Of course a changing WB is going to be a challenge.  But when you get the one or ones that work, save them to the 1D Mk IV.

You can have five plus the standard ones that come from Canon.

I had a son-in-law, had as we divorced him, that had several 55 gal 'fish tanks'.  He was always wanting some photos to show them off, so of course being my son-in-law, I did it.  And this was film, mind you.  Not digital and Photoshop.

I am not really knowledgeable about aquariums and that is/was my only exposure to them.

BTW, mentioning PS, that is where you should be doing this.  Not with the camera as you should be capturing RAW files and let PS do it's magic.  Great photos are onyl half made in the camera.  The other 1/2 is PS!

EB

mgrabow
Contributor
I run cs6 Photoshop and have never been able to get rid of the glow ghostings captured on the camera when the wb is off.

I know how to save white balance in the camera. Just not the WB/Shift when using the joy stick. That seems to be in or off with no way to recall the setting back up once toy turn it off...

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What if you use the Save Camera Settings to Card option and create a special file with you WB settings?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

If he is using RAW and PS, it should not matter.

EB
Announcements