cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saltwater and cameras

dianehake
Apprentice

Over the summer I took my dog to the beach.  It was his first time and he was very excited.  A wave came at him and he yanked me into the water.  My camera fell in with me.  I ended up having to get a new camera (body only), but now I am having trouble with my lens.  It won't focus automatically and I sometimes have to turn it.

Is it repairable or do I have to get a new lens?

I have an EOS Rebel T3i

Thanks for your help.

Diane in California

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The T3i and it's kit lens are not weather sealed from water spray or dust -- so take reasonable precautions when bringing it along to the beach (Canon's does have bodies and lenses which are weather sealed, but the Rebel series doesn't include it.)

It may be repairable but Canon would probably have to evaluate it (you'd probably have to send it in -- they can't know why it's not working without getting into it.)

Depending on the lens and the extent of necessary repairs, it may be less expensive to buy a new lens.  If this is the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II kit lens that comes with a T3i when purchased as a body/lens kit, then the new EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens is a nice upgrade over the original.

If you are trying to keep costs low, check Canon's "refurb" section of their online store.  You can find it here:  http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses

Note that the inventory of Canon's refurb store changes all the time -- the lens you want may not be available.  You can also check used prices... some well-known retailers sell used gear and check-out the condition of the gear and provide a fair "grade" of it's condition in their description so you have an idea if the lens looks new, lightly used... or really beat up (I think they even have a grade which says it's non-working and useful for 'parts only').

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you @TCampbell and @ebiggs1 for your quck response.  I was afraid I would have to purchase a new lens.  It was such a quick fall - I wasn't down that long, but I guess long enough. 

Thanks again.

Diane

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Diane I am afraid you are in for bad news. Even expensive lenses can cost more to repair when dunked in salt water than a replacement. If it is the kit lens you have I would suspect this will be your circumstance.

It is also possible some contaminate transfer from it to your new camera could happen.

Water is bad for a lens but salt water is a disaster.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements