cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SL2 Power On/Off Switch

wchettel
Enthusiast

Several weeks ago I took a few pics with my SL2 but when I put it back in the bag I forgot to turn the power switch off. Last night I pulled it out to take a few more pics and I noticed that it was still turned ON, but the battery level indicator didn't seem to be any lower than it was when I used it the last time.

Is there any harm in leaving the power switch in the ON position when the SL2 is not being used for a lengthy period?

--
Walter
in Davie, FL
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never turn my cameras off.  But I use them a lot.  Even the ones that sit on the shelf because they aren't the one being used doesn't get turned off. This has been my practice for years and years. Once the off timer has been exhausted the camera is essentially turned off.

The two sitting in front of me on the computer desk are both off but their on/off switch is in the on position.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

No real harm per se except the battery will eventally go dead. The camera will go into a low power state if the power button is left on and no controls are accuated.

You shouldn't store your camera with a battery installed.  A few days, a week, fine.  More than that, remove the battery.

You should turn the power swiitch off when the camera is not going to be used.  When youre done taking pictures, turn it off. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I almost never turn my cameras off.  But I use them a lot.  Even the ones that sit on the shelf because they aren't the one being used doesn't get turned off. This has been my practice for years and years. Once the off timer has been exhausted the camera is essentially turned off.

The two sitting in front of me on the computer desk are both off but their on/off switch is in the on position.

EB

I almost never turn mine off as well. Even when changing lenses, memory cards, or batteries. 

Once the camera “goes to sleep” it doesn’t use any more power than with the switch off. I once had one go dead after a few days in the camera bag and I just assumed that one of the buttons got pressed. 

Mike Sowsun

"Even when changing lenses, memory cards, or batteries."

Almost with you but I think you may want to turn it off with the on/off switch when removing and inserting CF or SD cards. I do turn it off when doing so. The instant the lens is turned a tiny amount power is cut off.  The last pin to make contact and first removed is the power pin.  I see no danger mounting and dismounting lenses. 

EB

Opening the memory card door cuts the power so I don't see any point to turnoing off the switch.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Opening the memory card door cuts the power so I don't see any point to turnoing off the switch.

Just as Rudy Giuliani sometimes makes phone calls by sitting on his cell phone, a camera can do funny things if it gets jostled around in a full camera bag. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I think turning off a camera when you put it away is a good habit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Just as Rudy Giuliani sometimes makes phone calls by sitting on his cell phone, a camera can do funny things if it gets jostled around in a full camera bag. Call me old-fashioned if you like, but I think turning off a camera when you put it away is a good habit.

Same here.  I have had button presses while the camera is in the bag. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What about tethering and downloading?  Don't you, or shouldn't you cycle power?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"What about tethering and downloading?  Don't you, or shouldn't you cycle power?"

Again, you are right, I see this as a possible static problem so I do power off if I am attaching a USB cable for either tethering or d/l to the computer. And, again, I mostly go slowly to make sure any static is drained.  Maybe it is not a big deal but I again error on the safe side.

I understand just because I have never had a static related loss, or corrupted CF card, does not mean my practice prevented it. However, perhaps it did.  I am super cautious with my CF cards and attaching cables to ports on my cameras.

EB
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements