cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rumor hath it that the R5II and R1 are coming...

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

According to Canon Rumors and Canon Lookout, Canon are predicted to announce both bodies prior to the Summer Olympics, although commercial release may not be until the latter part of the year, there is even talk of an R7MkII...
https://www.canonrumors.com/ 
This could be interesting...

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
10 REPLIES 10

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

In the past some camera companies have started a new product line by releasing a "flagship" camera, and then filling out the line with lower-cost, more entry-level cameras.  But because technology is relentlessly advancing, this has often meant that the cheaper cameras have cool features that the supposed "flagship" is missing.

It looks to me like Canon have decided to break this pattern in the R series, by waiting with the R1 until they can make it something really special.  Hope that's true, and I can't wait to see what it looks like.

The R1 is probably a bit out of my needs profile, but I would dearly love to see the R7MkII with a major upgrade to make it a true APS-C flagship model.

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

March411
Rising Star

I also read that this morning and wish Canon would just confirm the R7MII. I have an R7 sitting in my cart but would hate to make the purchase if there really is going to be an updated release.

Having a tough time deciding on which Canon MILC.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
Adobe and Topaz Suite for post processing
My Online Gallery

If you can really want an APS-C camera, while the R7 is the best of the bunch, I would personally wait for a significant upgrade.
I love the R5 and R6 units, and can use the R5 in crop mode to get the same equivalent FoV that one would get on an APS-C unit, without actually buying a separate body.

cheers, TREVOR

March411
Rising Star

I have a couple lenses that are APS-C (EF) that I really wanted to hold onto, one I just love. While it is not the sharpest the Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM has been a very versatile lens with nice range and an all day carry. I've used it for landscape to wildlife and everything in between. Right now there is no replacement in that range, some come close but when you have a love..... you know how it goes.

And the slight softness issues I can clean up in post. 

All that said, I don't have enough technical knowledge on the R5. Are you saying that I can change the crop and use APS-C lenses without vignetting? FoV isn't my concern it is the vignetting.

I like Scott's YouTube channel, Wild Alaska and he has spoken highly of the R7 and strongly clarified it's faults. The H+ frame rate of 30 even with a V90 card can only be achieved in small bursts, the buffer can't handle true continuous. I'm Ok with that and knowing is half the battle.

The other is the rolling shutter distortion, he states he drops about 5% and as much as 20% when he is shooting high volume or not keeping the body steady. He takes accountability for his movement but states he still has plenty of images to work with and believes the camera still has value @ it's price point.

I can live with that too.

But if I can achieve my goal of using my APS-C lenses on the R5 in crop it would most likely change my perspective although there also are rumors of an upgraded R5MII.

Would love to hear your thought Trevor.

No trees were destroyed in the posting of this message. However, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
My Online Gallery

I'll PM you...

cheers, TREVOR

I use some of my EF-S lenses on my EOS R5. In crop mode, the R5 has only a few less pixels than my EOS 80D. All of my lenses work better on the R5 than on the 80D. I have not purchased any RF lenses.

Gaillardia pulchella wildflower (also called Indian Blanket, Firewheel, Girasol Rojo) in Norman, Oklahoma, June 4, 2022, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, F/22, focus distance about 0.35 meter, ISO 200, 1/64 secGaillardia pulchella wildflower (also called Indian Blanket, Firewheel, Girasol Rojo) in Norman, Oklahoma, June 4, 2022, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, F/22, focus distance about 0.35 meter, ISO 200, 1/64 sec

Castilleja indivisa (also called Indian Paintbrush) and Achillea millefolium (also called Common Yarrow) blooming in Norman, Oklahoma, May 27, 2022, Depth Composite Focus Stack of 8 images, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USMCastilleja indivisa (also called Indian Paintbrush) and Achillea millefolium (also called Common Yarrow) blooming in Norman, Oklahoma, May 27, 2022, Depth Composite Focus Stack of 8 images, Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

A Bumble Bee (Bombus pensylvanicus) was on a Zinnia in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on September 2, 2021. I made this photo with a very old lens as an experiment. I purchased the lens in 2011 and nearly wore it out. For this photo, it was attached to a newer camera body with an adapter with two telephoto extenders. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Kenko TELEPLUS HD C-AF 2X DGX, Vivitar SERIES 1 1.4X AF, F/16, 700 mm, ISO 5000, hand heldA Bumble Bee (Bombus pensylvanicus) was on a Zinnia in Norman, Oklahoma, United States on September 2, 2021. I made this photo with a very old lens as an experiment. I purchased the lens in 2011 and nearly wore it out. For this photo, it was attached to a newer camera body with an adapter with two telephoto extenders. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Kenko TELEPLUS HD C-AF 2X DGX, Vivitar SERIES 1 1.4X AF, F/16, 700 mm, ISO 5000, hand held

John, I appreciate the reply and the images.

Marc
Windy City

R3 ~ R5 ~ R6 Mk II ~ R50
My Online Gallery

ata
Enthusiast

As a Canon R5 owner, I'm curious to see what the R5 Mark 2 will look like. Many R5 users have high expectations, I hope it meets their expectations.

Announcements