cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting advice on how to successfully focus specifically on hummingbirds in flight.

garymak
Enthusiast

Requesting advice on how to successfully focus specifically on hummingbirds in flight.

I’m asking this only of photographers with direct, successful experience specifically photographing hummingbirds in-flight for any tips and tricks you have found that have worked well with focusing issues.  

(Please, if you do not have direct, successful experience specifically photographing hummingbirds in-flight, then with all due respect and appreciation for your good intentions, please refrain from offering ideas, thoughts, conjectures, or other experiences with other birds or animals.)

Background: 

I have used 4 different methods for photographing hummingbirds in flight:

1) “The Usual”: high SS, medium ƒ-stop, high ISO. 

2) “Strobe for high speed shutter” with a high-shutter speed sync, a very low ISO, a very high ƒ-stop, utilizing the strobe burst of the flash (usually 1/10,000th or so) to stop-action the hummingbird in flight.  The high ƒ-stop also creates a much wider DoF in which to capture the bird in focus.

3) In turn, both of these methods have utilized 2 different types of focusing methodology: 

A. Autofocus (various different settings and areas)

B. Manual pre-focus on the area the hummingbird will most likely come and hover for a brief moment before setting down on the feeder.

All of these methods have yielded just 3-5 decent shots each, based purely on luck, because the main issue is FOCUSING.  The R5 auto-focus mechanism is the worst of the two, practically useless, as it simply isn’t fast enough or sophisticated enough to react to the sudden appearance of a tiny hummingbird and focus on it, and usually the autofocus misses the bird entirely and focuses on the farthest background item in the frame (the distant hedges.) Manual focus has worked the best, but still yielded only about half a dozen out of about 1,000 shots, only by luck of the hummingbird being in the exact plane of the pre-focused area.  All successes can be attributed entirely to “luck.”

Give the above, does anyone have any direct, successful experience specifically photographing hummingbirds in flight?  If so, what did you do differently that worked, or at least yielded better results than 5 lucky shots out of 1,000?  Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

normadel
Authority
Authority

The only way I have gotten good shots of hummingbirds is when they are hovering at my feeder. And you only have a second to get the shot. Manually focus on the spot it is going to, or autofocus on the spot and wait for the bird. You don't have time to focus on the bird when you see it standing still. Take high-speed sequences so you can pick the best image. Framing, stopping action and focus are trial and error.

The best, suitable for framing image i have taken was on film with my trusty old Canon AE-1 Program. No digital technology and gimmicks involved.

Yeah, I agree, that's the "golden moment,"  the brief moment as they hover before landing!  Anna's seem to hover for oh, say, 0.4", while the Rufous seem to hover much longer, around 0.9"... twice as long. 🙄 And yes, it requires fast reflexes, intense concentration, and again, luck of focus, because if you are not focused exactly where they are "hovering", even if you catch them hovering, your autofocus will never work, so again, it gets back to pre-focusing where you think they might hover.

My issue with the above high-speed-pick-your-best-shot-later is that it requires a very high ISO, and generally wide aperture/ shallow DoF even on a very bright day, which then degrades the image upon enlargement...and of course the shallow DoF increases the need for exact focus...

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

We take photos of hummingbirds at a feeder outside the kitchen window.  Fast speeds and appropriate ISO (or set at automatic) are a must. Wife uses a SX530 HS and I use a T7. I have sat in the kitchen with the camera set, focused and on a tripod. I have a cable remote to "fire" the camera. We probably have a couple hundred photos. Will dig through the archives and post one on the Gallery. My wife has a goal of finding a hummingbird nest.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

I use all of the above as well.  The issue is still "focus in flight." Taking an image of a bird (any bird) sitting at a feeder is a no-brainer.  They are still, so manual or auto-focus doesn't matter.  Heck, shutter speed hardly matters at that point.  This issue is of how to capture accurate focus on hummingbirds in flight. 

All of our photos were the hummingbird hovering at the feeder. Never had one land on the feeder. There are "roosts" available that look like a trapeze for them to land on. Ours fly up to a hickory or poplar tree and sit on a limb. Last year, we have one that would land on a limb in the hickory tree. If another h'bird came to the feeder outside the kitchen window, he would dive bomb it and chase it away.

John

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

I also have an EOS R5 and I use tracking and eye focus. I hope some of this might be helpful. I usually autofocus on a flower at about the same distance as the bird and then focus on the bird.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) on Salvia greggii in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, July 22, 2023Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) on Salvia greggii in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, July 22, 2023

The above photo is at https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/2023Jul23_birds_and_cats/2023jul22_hummingbird_IMG_4930c.html  and was made with these settings as reported by exiftool:

EXIF:Image ExposureTime 1/500
EXIF:Image FNumber 6.3
EXIF:Image ISO 2000
MakerNotes:Camera ContinuousDrive Continuous, High+
MakerNotes:Camera FocusMode AI Servo AF
MakerNotes:Camera CameraISO Auto
MakerNotes:Camera MeteringMode Evaluative
MakerNotes:Camera FocusRange Auto
MakerNotes:Camera CanonExposureMode Flexible-priority AE
MakerNotes:Camera ImageStabilization On (2) (mode 3)
MakerNotes:Camera SafetyShift Disable
MakerNotes:Camera DigitalLensOptimizer Standard
MakerNotes:Camera PeripheralLightingSetting Off
MakerNotes:Camera DistortionCorrectionSetting Off
MakerNotes:Camera AFConfigTool Case 1
MakerNotes:Camera AFTrackingSensitivity 0
MakerNotes:Camera AFAccelDecelTracking 0
MakerNotes:Camera AFPointSwitching -1
MakerNotes:Camera AIServoFirstImage Equal Priority
MakerNotes:Camera AIServoSecondImage Equal Priority
MakerNotes:Camera OneShotAFRelease Focus Priority
MakerNotes:Camera AutoAFPointSelEOSiTRAF Enable
MakerNotes:Camera LensDriveWhenAFImpossible Continue Focus Search
MakerNotes:Camera SelectAFAreaSelectionMode Single-point AF, Auto, Zone AF, AF Point Expansion (4 point), Spot AF, AF Point Expansion (8 point), [6], [8], [9], [10], [11], [12], [13], [14]
MakerNotes:Camera AFPointDisplayDuringFocus Selected (constant)
MakerNotes:Camera SubjectToDetect Animals
MakerNotes:Camera EyeDetection On
MakerNotes:Camera RollAngle -0.7
MakerNotes:Camera PitchAngle -3.4
MakerNotes:Camera FocalLength 300 mm
MakerNotes:Image FocusDistanceUpper 3.68 m
MakerNotes:Image FocusDistanceLower 3.35 m
MakerNotes:Image ShutterMode Electronic First Curtain
MakerNotes:Time TimeZoneCity Chicago
MakerNotes:Time DaylightSavings On
MakerNotes:Time TimeStamp 2023:07:22 08:56:38.15
Composite:Camera LensID Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Since you wrote that you only wanted responses from those who had photographed hummingbirds, these are most of the hummingbird photos that I have put on my web server. I have become more skilled as time has passed.

Much thanks for the details and nice photo.  I will review the images later.  Yes, in this scenario, the "flower" becomes the substitute focal point, and makes for a nice, natural shot, such as you have posted.  Good technique (which still requires patience to be sure!) Unfortunately, I don't have that in my yard.  I'm trying to isolate the birds as they come into the feeder - at that "golden moment" mentioned in the exchange with "normadel" above.  Examples:

Graphic Converter shows focus area, which was PRE-FOCUSED, and luckily the bird hovered right in it.Graphic Converter shows focus area, which was PRE-FOCUSED, and luckily the bird hovered right in it.This was the result.This was the result.Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 1.30.59 PM.png2406100190 Hummingbirds in the Backyard.JPGTalk about "luck" - autofocus grabbed the hook of the feeder but the bird flew into the exact same plane as the focus...Talk about "luck" - autofocus grabbed the hook of the feeder but the bird flew into the exact same plane as the focus......resulting in this headshot....resulting in this headshot.

If I start with the focus distance near the distance of the hummingbird or other bird, then I find that the EOS R5 will often focus on the eye of the bird when eye detection is enabled. To get the focus to nearly the right distance, I auto focus first on something high contrast at near the same distance as the bird, or turn the focus ring on the lens to get close. For birds with wings moving rapidly, I sometimes hold down the shutter button and keep the photo that has the wings in the position that pleases me most. I do not put out a humming bird feeder, but try to have some flowers in pots near a chair I sit in outside my house.

I also miss many shots. I am old and slow. But I am getting better with practice.

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, July 22, 2023. The bird was partially obscured by out of focus foliage, but the eye detection on the EOS R5 managed to find the eye.Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, July 22, 2023. The bird was partially obscured by out of focus foliage, but the eye detection on the EOS R5 managed to find the eye.Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) on Salvia farinacea in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, September 28, 2023. The humming bird was going from sunlight to shade to sunlight, but the EOS R5 eye detection managed to find the eye. The wings are blurry from motion, but the eye is not because the bird had stopped at a flower. I held down the shutter button and kept the best photo.Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris) on Salvia farinacea in Norman, Oklahoma, United States, September 28, 2023. The humming bird was going from sunlight to shade to sunlight, but the EOS R5 eye detection managed to find the eye. The wings are blurry from motion, but the eye is not because the bird had stopped at a flower. I held down the shutter button and kept the best photo.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements