cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refurbished R5 Error Message 70 right out of the box

maxf88
Apprentice

How is this possible? I was sent a faulty camera. I am using Canon batteries, SanDisk SD cards, and a refurbished RF lens also just purchased. I sent it in for warranty repair. This is my first big Canon purchase and I'm extremely disappointed because the error message/camera lock up destroyed valuable shooting opportunities on a photography trip. Is this normal for this to happen? I thought refurbished cameras underwent inspection?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I have purchased several refurbished products from Canon.  I've never had a problem.  However, an err 70 out of the box might give me pause.  Its not unheard of, so I would I probably retest with another card, lens etc.  If it happened again, I would have returned the body and repurchased or requested an exchange.  Buying refurbished doesn't mean you need to accept a problem or defect.  If thats what it was.  New or refurb means you get to use your purchase immediately, not send it in for inspection or repair.  If you were withing the 14 day return period, I would have done that.  Rest assured, Canon will resolve this for you.  This is not typical and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished body at all. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi, thank you. A Canon technician did reach out and say I should send it in 'for warranty repair' and another Canon representative sent me a paid shipping label. I hope that means the replacement or repair is paid for as well. They mentioned something about a one time courtesy. I was outside of 14 days because I had to take the camera with me on a two week trip to Ecuador. The problem persisted with multiple SD cards and multiple Canon R5 batteries so who knows. Thank you for your reassurance. Just sucks.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Refurbished items come with the same 1 yr warranty as new items.   They'll take care of you.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements