cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red light won't turn off/camera won't work

Sampyle
Contributor
I have a Rebel T5/ 700D and was trying to shoot some photos earlier and the camera just stopped working entirely. I took a pic and the shutter didn't open back up, I've not been using a flash and have reformatted the SD card but it still has not fixed it. Any suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greeting,

Time for a battery pull.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

And after that, is it a full size card or a micro card with adapter?

Sampyle
Contributor
Shadowsports: I changed the battery and it managed to take a couple photos but then did the same thing...
Kvbarkley: it's a normal full size as card

Greetigs,

Full Size card - good

Formatted in the camera - good

Battery pull - worked temporarily

Whats next...  A reset, Camera settings and Custom settings to defaults.  Result? 

In addition, does the camera turn on and show ready with the lens removed, or do you have another lens to test with?

Are their any issues with the flash that might keep the body from being ready?

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

And another card.

@kvbarkley wrote:

And another card.

Good idea.  Try powering up without any memory card, too.  Removing the lens to clear the camera is a good idea, too.  The camera does have a menu selection that resets the camera, but that menu is not visible until switch out of Basic modes, and use a Creative mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sampyle
Contributor
Shadowsports:
Whilst surching through the menu, the screen went weird with a thin grid pattern covering the whole screen which didn't go away until another battery pull...

I then wiped the settings and tried again with another lense and with no lense, the camera shows ready however once I take a pic the shutter opens and doesn't close again while the red light remains on.

I have never had any issues with the flash but also have only used the flash a hand full of times.

Kvbarkley:
I do not have a brand new card right now so will have to go out and buy one.

Waddizzle:
I only ever shoot in full manual mode, will that make a difference?

@Sampyle wrote:
Shadowsports:
Whilst surching through the menu, the screen went weird with a thin grid pattern covering the whole screen which didn't go away until another battery pull...

I then wiped the settings and tried again with another lense and with no lense, the camera shows ready however once I take a pic the shutter opens and doesn't close again while the red light remains on.

I have never had any issues with the flash but also have only used the flash a hand full of times.

Kvbarkley:
I do not have a brand new card right now so will have to go out and buy one.

Waddizzle:
I only ever shoot in full manual mode, will that make a difference?

Did you try to power it up without either a memory card or a lens?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sampyle
Contributor
Waddizzle:
Yes I did and it loaded up fine but when I press the button the normal screen goes away and doesn't come back
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements