cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation on Canon Model

klsandone
Apprentice

What is the best camera to take outside sports shots of soccer both night and day and basketball inside shots?  I currently have the nikon D60 and have difficulty taking clear inside or night shots.  Any thoughts? 

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority

If budget were irrelevant, then the 1Dx or the 5D3 would be your best bet.  They cost about $6700.00 and $3,200.00, respectively, without lenses.  These are full-frame bodies with advanced autofocus for moving objects/sports.

If you are on a lower budget than that, then a 7D or even a T4i would do the job, though you would have to buy a nice bright lens to help you out in the dimmer light, as these are crop bodies like your D60, but with more advanced autofocus.

It would help with reccomendations to know your budget and level of seriousness.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

cicopo
Elite

As  Scott has said we need to know your budget & just how serious you are about getting high quality results. Daytime action isn't that difficult to capture when compared to low light action, and it can be a real challenge even with good gear. Not only will that require fast lenses, a good AF system that works well in low light & a decent frame rate but you'll need to know exactly how to set it up for low light shooting, which will take some experimenting. I'd also like to know what previous experience you have with action photography & whether you have much panning experience. You'll need to have a pretty smooth pan to follow & capture the action in low light.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The 7D is without peer in it's class and is a great sports body.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements