cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6i

Mrslabshack
Apprentice

Hi! I'm new to the group. Just was wondering if any of you have tested the new Rebel T6i? Thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
Hi.

The T6i and T6s are not shipping yet. They look like a major step forward, however, in autofocus ability, with the 19 point all-cross type system. Probably the biggest model to model change in Rebels ever.

The T6s is $100 more and has a bit nicer back dial and a nice LCD top screen.

And then for another $150 above that you can have the 70d, with all that plus dual pixel AF and AFMA. Just have to choose your own personal price and feature point.

If it were me and if my budget would let me spend $750-$850 for a lens if I saved some money buying the T6i instead of a 70d leaving $250-$300 less for a lens, I would get the less expensive body and put the money into a lens..

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:
Hi.

The T6i and T6s are not shipping yet. They look like a major step forward, however, in autofocus ability, with the 19 point all-cross type system. Probably the biggest model to model change in Rebels ever.

The T6s is $100 more and has a bit nicer back dial and a nice LCD top screen.

And then for another $150 above that you can have the 70d, with all that plus dual pixel AF and AFMA. Just have to choose your own personal price and feature point.

If it were me and if my budget would let me spend $750-$850 for a lens if I saved some money buying the T6i instead of a 70d leaving $250-$300 less for a lens, I would get the less expensive body and put the money into a lens..

And I would not. My personal experience has made the Rebels' lack of autofocus microadjustment a show stopper for me. (I screwed up an important photo shoot because I foolishly slapped my new 17-55mm f/2.8 onto my new 7D and started banging away without any prior testing. It turned out that the lens needed +9 points of AFMA.) I realize that if you stick to "L" series lenses, you're less likely to encounter such a problem. But if it does happen, you may be cursing yourself for having a camera/lens combination you can't use.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

For the vast majority of folks this is going to be as good as it gets.  It is an advanced ameture camera and fits most people's needs quite nicely.  At least the previous Rebels have and have become the world's best selling DSLR.

EOS Rebel T6i

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I will agree with Robert in part, as I think leaving AFMA off of a camera is just a bad idea.  I was only trying to encourage anyone who might be considering stretching their budget for either a better lens or a more expensive body, to go for the lens.  If there is room in someone's budget for both, then by all means go for a more expensive body too.

AFMA is really in Canon's best interest.  It allows the user to correct occasional quality control, inconsistency issues on Canon's production line.  Every person who uses AFMA (successfully) is one person who does not get disgusted and switch to another brand, or who does not go around posting how their Canon equipment can't take a sharp picture, or does not return a lens to Canon that will go on the refurb pile.  

Kind of like how condiment makers write "shake before using" on the bottle.  It is for themselves, not for the customer.  They want you to have the best experience possible with their product so you will be a return customer.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

You two guys are "enthusiasts" and advanced amatuers.  The vast majority of Rebel users are not. Not only do they not know what AFMA is they would never use it.

Just like some people will not "shake before using!"  All you need to do is go to, or teach a basic DSLR class to realize that.

The Rebel remains a camera for the mass market, for the mass consumer and cost is a top priority.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements