cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel T6 autofocus not working

Jaynicia99
Apprentice

I'm having the autofocus issue when trying to film videos. I have an EOS Rebel T6. How do I fix this?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8

Stephen

Hello, Jaynicia99!

Welcome to the Canon Community Forums, and thanks for posting! So that the Community can help you better, we'll need to know a little bit more about your situation. Which lens(es) do you usually record videos with? 

What mode(s) do you record in? What is your lighting like? Do you have any examples you can show us? 

Feel free to give us any other info you think might help us understand your situation better!

Bear in mind the forums aren't intended for immediate assistance. If your question is of an urgent nature, please call our US-based support team at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) during normal business hours, or visit our support site for self-help options HERE.

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find your support options. 

The lens I'm using is a Canon 18-55mm II Lens, which came with the camera. I got this from Amazon last year and I do like it. The lighting is five lights, which four of what you see, plus an overhead boom light. The room also have two lamps in the corner on the other side of the room. The third pic is how the lighting looks and I'm happy with it.

On the video mode, I have it se at "Movie exposure - auto," AF Method - live mode," "AF w/shutter butting during recording," "shutter/AE lock button," and "Highlight tone priority."

I know it's something I'm doing wrong to not get the autofocus to work in video mode, but the youtube content creators all have a different way of describing tutorials and it gets confusing.

Thanks!

Camera.PNGstudio lights.PNGPurple Haze 5.PNG

Jaynicia99, 

The method you will want to try and use is going to be the Movie Servo AF mode.  This should resolve alot of the AF issues you were having. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks - again, not very savvy with this unit, but where do I go for this? I don't see Movie Servo, but I do see AF method, AF w/shutter button. 

This camera is nice but complicated...

I have the T6i and yes it is complicated but in time and with practice you'll be more comfortable. I believe that Movie Servo AF is set to enable by default, it is under the first movie settings menu or Movie1. Put the camera in Movie mode first

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am not sure that the T6 can autofocus when shooting video.  I think you need to focus before initiating video mode.

It definitely cannot track subjects in video mode.  No Rebel bodies can, AFAIK.  Only the newer mid-range and professional Canon bodies with the latest Dual Pixel AF image sensors can currently do AF tracking in video modes.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The T7i has dual pixel and can track during video. My T6S makes some redimentary stabs at it, but does not do well.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
“The T7i has dual pixel and can track during video. My T6S makes some redimentary stabs at it, but does not do well.”

I am not so certain that the T7i can do video tracking. Just because a camera has DPAF does mean it can do it. Case in point, 7D2.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements