cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebel SL1 - How to upload square image 30x30 (300dpi)

artistpam
Contributor

HI All,

Pam here, new to all of this. The site Apealz that sells digital skins wants my work. I want to sell to the but I can't seem to get the resolution high for them to upload? They want  a sq image with 300 dpi? What the hell? I have a Cannon Rebel SL1. I've shot and printed 30 x 40 image but I can't satisfy this company?? Any suggestions? And they want Jpeg not RAW . Thanks in advance, Pam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I use Lightroom Classic 12.5 - the following instructions may be differrent if you're on a different version:

1. For the photos you want to export, in the Develop module, select a square crop.
  2. Select all the photos, then select File | Export ... 
  3. Locate the Image Sizing options in the Export dialog.

[X] Resize to Fit: [Long Edge]  <-- this won't really matter since your photos were cropped to squares

[  ] Don't Enlarge <-- keep unchecked

[5,000] [pixels]     Resolution: [300] [pixels per inch]

4. Locate the File Settings options in the Export dialog:

Image Format: [JPEG]   Quality [80]  <-- this quality should suffice, but you can increase if desired.

Color Space: [sRGB]     [  ] Limit File Size <-- Leave this unchecked.

This will export 5,000 pixel square versions of the selected photos tagged with being 300 DPI. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

I use LR. It has functions to change image size but I don't find that it works. ?

Thank again, I'm getting such an education. And I thought doing the art was the hurdle.

I use Lightroom Classic 12.5 - the following instructions may be differrent if you're on a different version:

1. For the photos you want to export, in the Develop module, select a square crop.
  2. Select all the photos, then select File | Export ... 
  3. Locate the Image Sizing options in the Export dialog.

[X] Resize to Fit: [Long Edge]  <-- this won't really matter since your photos were cropped to squares

[  ] Don't Enlarge <-- keep unchecked

[5,000] [pixels]     Resolution: [300] [pixels per inch]

4. Locate the File Settings options in the Export dialog:

Image Format: [JPEG]   Quality [80]  <-- this quality should suffice, but you can increase if desired.

Color Space: [sRGB]     [  ] Limit File Size <-- Leave this unchecked.

This will export 5,000 pixel square versions of the selected photos tagged with being 300 DPI. 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

@RS-EOS

I agree with everything you wrote, but the JPEG quality setting. If an image has both color gradients and fine detail and further processing will be done after the image is created then a quality setting of up to 97 (assuming the numbers are as in the standard) will be sometimes be useful. For final display, you are correct that 80 is often enough and will result in a much smaller file.

If file size is not a problem and a JPEG is being sent to someone who will use unknown to me printer algorithms, then I would set quality to 95 or higher. If the particular software switches to the lossless compression mentioned in the JPEG standard at quality of 100, then that might be worthwhile (The standard itself said that the quality could be 100 with lossy compression).

Announcements