cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 video files skipping - example vid link

Echard
Contributor

Hi, I'm shooting with the first gen. R6 using a 24-105 non mirrorless lens.  Here's a link showing what's going on. I put the meta data at the beginning of the video.  Thanks for any help!

https://youtu.be/dMmdVCV1aQg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No idea.  If you're recording Full HD (IPB standard), that's only 60 Mbps (or 7.5 MBps).  Far under your card's sustained write speed of 30 MBps (240 Mbps).

Note that the values that are typically printed largest on cards are meaningless when it comes to recording (170 MBps in your card's case).   That value is the theoretical maximum read speed.  Higher read speeds can be useful though when transfering footage off of the card.

For writes, you'll want to look at sustained write speeds.  Your card is rated at V30 which is 30 MBps (240 Mbps).

If you were choosing to record UHD at 59.94 with IPB Standard, I could issues begin to arise.  This is because that codec needs 230 Mbps which is really close to the maximum the card is capable of.  Since the camera can work with UHS-II cards, for any UHD work, you'll want to get V60 rated cards.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please provide additional information about the hardware in use.  Lens is EF, and is adapted with ?? brand/model?

Memory card is brand / model?

Frequency - happens always in 60p, sometimes, etc??

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Echard
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

It's an EF lens with the adapter. It doesn't happen often, but enough and to key clips. I use Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro 170mbs. I'm shooting FHD 59.94 at 1920x1080.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

We saw that info at the beginning of your video.  Is your lens adapter Canon or 3rd party?

Does the issue occur in other frame rates 24p (example).  Does the behavior occur 100% of the time, or only sometimes?

What FW version is the camera using?

Are you hand holding, using a tripod, etc?  The more detail you provide, observations etc, the easier it will be for us to try and assist.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I’m handholding. Not sure of the FW. Not the latest. I’ve only shot it with that setting-60p. It rarely happens but it’s ruining a few key clips.  

Echard
Contributor

It’s a Canon adapter 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thank you Echard.

Does the video skip when played back on the camera?

If not, please tell us about your computer and the software you are using to playback or edit your videos.  60p even at 1920x1080 can be taxing depending on the hardware.  Something as simple as updating your video drivers might help.  However, we have no insight about your hardware.  ??

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Echard
Contributor

Ok, unfortunately I’ve formatted that card so I can’t check that out. I’m using FCPX on an older Intel Mac with the latest update. I’ve been making these videos for years. I used a 5d mk3 for most of them. At 24p. I’ll try doing some test footage at 24p. I just love being able to slow it down. 

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

In Final Cut Pro, what exact frame rate are you using for the project?  Note that the EOS R6 isn't capable of true 24 fps.  Instead, it would be 23.976.  And for 60 fps, it would actually be 59.94.   This could account for what you're seeing (i.e. feeding 59.94 footage into a 60 fps timeline).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Excellent point Ricky.  His video shows 59.94.  I used the terms 24/60p loosely for conversation simplicity.  Not sure what he's using in FCXP.  Hoping to learn more when he replies.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements