cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 video files skipping - example vid link

Echard
Contributor

Hi, I'm shooting with the first gen. R6 using a 24-105 non mirrorless lens.  Here's a link showing what's going on. I put the meta data at the beginning of the video.  Thanks for any help!

https://youtu.be/dMmdVCV1aQg 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No idea.  If you're recording Full HD (IPB standard), that's only 60 Mbps (or 7.5 MBps).  Far under your card's sustained write speed of 30 MBps (240 Mbps).

Note that the values that are typically printed largest on cards are meaningless when it comes to recording (170 MBps in your card's case).   That value is the theoretical maximum read speed.  Higher read speeds can be useful though when transfering footage off of the card.

For writes, you'll want to look at sustained write speeds.  Your card is rated at V30 which is 30 MBps (240 Mbps).

If you were choosing to record UHD at 59.94 with IPB Standard, I could issues begin to arise.  This is because that codec needs 230 Mbps which is really close to the maximum the card is capable of.  Since the camera can work with UHS-II cards, for any UHD work, you'll want to get V60 rated cards.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Echard
Contributor

Yes, I was rounding up with regard to the fps. For years I was shooting at 23. fps with my 5D but started 59.fps with the R6. I've filmed a few of these events and this problem has only showed up, intermitently, a few times.  I never had this issue before the R6. Hope that helps. And, thanks for you guys help so far!

No idea.  If you're recording Full HD (IPB standard), that's only 60 Mbps (or 7.5 MBps).  Far under your card's sustained write speed of 30 MBps (240 Mbps).

Note that the values that are typically printed largest on cards are meaningless when it comes to recording (170 MBps in your card's case).   That value is the theoretical maximum read speed.  Higher read speeds can be useful though when transfering footage off of the card.

For writes, you'll want to look at sustained write speeds.  Your card is rated at V30 which is 30 MBps (240 Mbps).

If you were choosing to record UHD at 59.94 with IPB Standard, I could issues begin to arise.  This is because that codec needs 230 Mbps which is really close to the maximum the card is capable of.  Since the camera can work with UHS-II cards, for any UHD work, you'll want to get V60 rated cards.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Echard
Contributor

Thanks for the center, I’ll get a card like you suggested and try it again. I appreciate everyone’s help. Thank you.

Announcements