cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6: do you see the enhanced (IBIS) IS icon with RF 24-105 L IS?

dboreham
Apprentice

With my 24-104 f4 L IS mounted on my R6, I see the <hand> IS icon displayed. However, I don't see the <hand>+ icon. I do see the <hand>+ icon with my RF 85mm f2 IS. According to webs, the 24-105 is compatible with R6 IBIS. otoh it's very unclear form docs what the "+" even means. Do other folks see the plus with that lens on their R6? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

dboreham
Apprentice

I can answer my question now, in case anyone else has the same issue:

Answer is that RF lenses have firmware in them, and that firmware has to be updated in order to enable IBIS on the R5/6 whith that lens mounted.

Pro tip for Canon software devleopers if you're reading : implement a version check feature in the camera so it says "you've mounted a lens that has old firmware and so IBIS won't work", instead of inscruptably and mysteriously just disabling IBIS.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I got my RF 24-105 f/4 about 3 months ago, and it shows the hand and + symbols together on my R6 units.  The firmware versions are as follows:

Camera: Ver. 1.4.0

Lens:      Ver. 2.0.6  from my understanding this is the firmware that works to provide both IBIS and lens stabilization.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements