cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Issues - Brightness/Displays/Outdoors

SherryR
Apprentice

Is anyone else having issues with their R6 and brightness? I am having two main issues: when I focus, as I push the button, everything lights up to what the shot really should look like, but only for a split second, and then it goes back to a much darker shot and that's what stays when I hit the trigger. 

Also, when I'm out in a sunny day, the entire back of the screen and the viewfinder goes completely white. I can't see anything unless I crank my F stop up super high, as well as my shutter speed. I mean to REALLY high numbers to make things as dark as possible to even be able to SEE the scene. Doesn't matter which lens I have on.

I've been having these issues since I bought it in Fall. I've tried to adjust settings, factory resets, firmware updates, etc, but something is just really "off" with it (and not just outdoors). I barely touch it now because I'm so frustrated with it and don't enjoy it at all and regret buying it.

And just for the record, I can take the same shot, settings, etc just fine with my 5DMIV.

14 REPLIES 14

alindrum
Contributor

I just bought my camera a few days ago. I'm having the exact same issue. It makes no sense at all. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Reply to Sherry - 1st post:

You specifically said that the camera displays this issue outdoors and in bright conditions.  Can we take it then that the display is OK when you are indoors, or in dim light outdoors?

Are you using the rear screen to shoot with instead of the EVF, or to review images?  For stills or videos?

Have you checked the settings for changing the screen display brightness on P256 of your manual?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I can’t speak to Sherry’s issue although mine sounds identical. After beginning g to have this issue my brightness was set to the max 7. 

Mine was working fine indoors but as I went outside while doing video today my screen initially was far too bright. Mulch brighter than my exposure settings. Then it became too dark, while still outside, changing nothing but exposure settings which were correct, that was not the reason the screen was too bright or dark. I was shooting in manual. As I would adjust my aperture, shutter, and iso to make it appear correct on the screen (both EVF and OVF) once I would either half press the shutter button for focus or when I would begin recording it would show the correct exposure that I set. It’s very hard to explain but it’s not an exposure issue. My videos were exposed properly when I would press record but the LCD was not showing the correct exposure settings if it wasn’t recording. 

But I didn’t notice having any issues until I went outside and unfortunately they were not corrected when I came back inside.

Very strange and frustrating issue. 

In reply to Alindrum:  Please start your own thread for your issue, even if it appears the same, the circumstances may be different and it gets confusing with folks getting their wires crossed, especially those trying to help.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@alindrum., @capturedbybk

I strongly recommend that you each start a new thread for your own issue.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements