cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R6 Intervalometer Questions

djmcmath
Apprentice

I'm looking at the Canon EOS R6 for a really specific niche use case, and am concerned about a couple of features that I don't see described well elsewhere.

First: Can I watch the images as the interval timer is shooting them?

Second: Is there an easy way to enable interval timer (some custom function option?), or do I need to go through the menus every time?

The use case is underwater photogrammetry -- I'm making 3D models of underwater objects, typically wrecks.  Most people who drop things in the water and forget about them aren't terribly worried about how deep it is, from the perspective of divers later, so a bunch of these things are deep enough that time-at-depth is a real concern.

.... So I need to be able to transit (with the camera off, preferably, to preserve battery life), rig out the lights, turn the thing on, and start collecting data as efficiently as possible.  If I have to use my heavy cold-water gloves to navigate slowly through menus using the dial on a housing every time I want to start a sequence, or stop the sequence I'm working on to pick up elsewhere, it'll add minutes to bottom time, which is not really optimal.

Like a time lapse shot, using the interval timer for UW photogrammetry requires periodic frames.  But unlike time lapse, the camera and the lights are moving every frame.  I really need to be able to see what's in frame and what isn't, and where my lights are hitting (or not), or if I've developed a bad backscatter problem, or if my lighting diver is hitting where he should be, or ... any number of other things.

Does anyone who has one know?  Thanks in advance.  

Dan

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

1st - I would expect image preview after each shot to still work, not unless the shot interval is shorter than the preview time.

2nd - You should be able to use a custom shooting mode as a preset for interval shooting, or any other type of shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

2nd - On second thought, check the User Manual to see if interval shooting settings are saved in custom shooting modes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply.  I too would "expect" it to work, but I'm not prepared to shell out the bucks based on my "expectations" alone.  😉  🙂 

Re: #1 -- I need to be able to shoot once per second, and I really need to be able to see the previous shot for most of that time, preferably as a full screen display.  I know that with my 6D using the Magic Lantern firmware, the last image is only displayed at all for intervals greater than 1sec, and it's only available in the histogram view.  For a 2sec interval, you get about 1sec of what you just shot (tiny, in a corner -- hard to see, especially if you're peering at it through the housing and a mask), then a second of preparing for the next shot.  If the R6 is the same, I'd be better off with a Sony.  😞

Re: #2 -- I couldn't find anything in the user manual that convinced me one way or the other on this point.  It seems like an obvious feature that really should exist, but ... just because users want a thing doesn't mean it will work right.  🙂  I'm hoping someone who has one can test it and make a definitive answer one way or the other.

Thanks again.

Announcements