cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 “Separate AF pts: Area+pt” Problem

darral_freund
Apprentice

I’m having issues with an item in the AF4 menu of the R3 — “Orientation linked AF point.” I’m using firmware version 1.2.2.

When I select “Separate AF pts: Area+pt,” the R3 is still only using the registered position of the point and not the AF area mode when I recall the registered point. Instead it uses the current AF area mode at the registered point’s location. This happens with I assign a button to “switch to registered AF point.”

I’m wondering if anyone else has noticed this? I don’t think it is supposed to work this way…

I found this problem when I was playing around with modes to turn subject tracking on and off. My goal was to have a button that when depressed, it would change the subject tracking from on to off and also allow for changing to the registered AF tracking point / AF area mode. I think the the button function “register/recall shooting function” should allow for this functionality. It allows one to set a number of parameters when the “INFO Detail Set” button is set.

When this mode is programmed to have subject tracking off and using a registered point, it immediately turns off subject tracking but switches to the registered AF point location using the current AF area mode (and not the registered AF area mode). Just to be clear, I have the option in the AF4 menu set to use “Separate AF pts: Area+pt.”

It seems as though it should switch to the selected AF area mode, which is also programmable in the function detail settings, but it doesn’t work…

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I’m having issues with an item in the AF4 menu of the R3 — “Orientation linked AF point.” I’m using firmware version 1.2.2.

When I select “Separate AF pts: Area+pt,” the R3 is still only using the registered position of the point and not the AF area mode when I recall the registered point. Instead it uses the current AF area mode at the registered point’s location. This happens with I assign a button to “switch to registered AF point.””

Okay, you have a lot of moving pieces and parts here.  Let’s tackle one problem at a time.  In order to have separate orientation linked AF points, you must FIRST define an AF point for each orientation.  Have you completed that first step?  If not, define one,  Does that piece work now?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I had registered points for both vertical and horizontal orientations.  I just double checked to make sure they were both still there.  The issue I'm having occurs in both orientations.

@darral_freund wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I had registered points for both vertical and horizontal orientations.  I just double checked to make sure they were both still there.  The issue I'm having occurs in both orientations.

You make it sound like it is working as it should, but you may not have completed all of the necessary steps to complete the setup configuration.

23A2C63C-E6A6-4640-8772-903D0AAD9DE8.jpeg

Thanks again for the response.

I did all that. I think maybe I’m misunderstanding the capability of registered AF points…

I can get registered points to work differently in horizontal and vertical orientations.

I was thinking that registering an AF point would store both the starting position (or center point) of the mode as well as the mode type, such as 1-point AF, Expand AF area: Around, etc. And that could be done independently for horizontal and vertical orientations.

I came to this conclusion after reading the documentation about customizing the various buttons, specifically the “Register/recall shooting func.” In the detailed section it has entries for among other things AF area and AF start position. This led me to believe that when implementing this function one could specify a different AF point type / area type than what is current in the camera (for either orientation). But that doesn’t work — it uses the same AF mode.

I’m wondering if the registered point capability can only recall the location but not the type?

Interestingly, if I program a button to “Switch to registered AF func,” I can successfully change the AF mode but not the location.

What I ultimately would like to do with the “Register/recall shooting func” is both change the AF point /area location as well as the mode (1-point, etc).

If this can be clarified, I’d appreciate it greatly.

Thanks

Start small and work your way up to where you to be.  Does it change zones when using a single AF point?

Announcements