cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R3 Auto Focus Issues

Paddysup
Contributor

Have had the R3 since it's introduction and up till now, fantastic piece of equipment! Recently however it has begun to have issues with auto focus, regardless of the lens attached, settings or lighting. Going to to a complete reset of the software today which I hate to do since there are so many custom setting, but at least I may be able to rule out some small setting I've overlooked.

Anyone else have problems with the R3 Auto Focus?

14 REPLIES 14

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, Paddysup!

So that the Community can help you better, please describe the exact focusing issues you're encountering. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Danny, is correct.  Please describe the nature of the focusing issues.  Please describe what steps and actions we should use to reproduce your issue.  Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Going to to a complete reset of the software today which I hate to do since there are so many custom setting, but at least I may be able to rule out some small setting I've overlooked."

Does that mean you are resetting the R3? If it does that s a great idea. Keep in mind around 90% of OOF or focus issues of any kind are user caused and not camera/lens. The camera is simply doing what it is told to do.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“ The camera is simply doing what it is told to do.

Correct.  The camera can only do what you ask it to do.  If you ask the wrong questions, then you will get the wrong answers.

Tell us how to reproduce your issue.

Paddysup
Contributor

I thought this forum would be useful but apparently not. Let me rephrase. "Has anyone had "ANY" auto focus issues with the R3, any at all? Or are there so few folks that own one not enough owners exist to resource this question.

And in simpler terms, the R3 will not auto focus regardless of the lens I attach. That shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

I have owned/used every top end Canon DSLR since they first began making them around 2000 or shortly before. This is my first mirrorless and also first Canon Professional Grade camera I have had "ANY" auto focus issues with.

So the question please to answer is "has anyone else had "ANY" auto focus issues with their R3? If someone else owns an R3 and has had "ANY" auto focus issues, please respond if your out there. We can start to share details from there. If a Canon Moderator is on here and knows of any auto focus issues with the R3 (afterall you are with Canon and have some idea, please respond with any knowledge of auto focus issues with the R3.

Thanks

Hi Paddysup!

We've had no known issues reported with the autofocus on the R3. 

Any requests by Community members for further information on the exact nature of your focusing issue were made in hopes of better understanding and therefore solving your issue. "Auto focus issues" is a a rather vague starting point to try troubleshooting from without further clarification of conditions under which the issue occurred.  

If you'd prefer to speak with one of our camera technicians, please give them a call at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) Monday-Friday: 9:00 am to 9:00 pm ET, Saturday: 9:00 am to 7:00 pm ET. They'll be happy to help you out.

Thanks for reaching out!

I will end up speaking with e Canon Tech before I do the reset. Most times it seems they are reluctant to point out any flaws with any of your products although I will say, the Canon Techs I have spoken with are generally top notch! Thanks

I am sorry that you feel offended.  But, “auto focus issues” is very vague, especially with a camera as complex as the R3.  The camera includes the “Eyeball AF”.system that tracks your eye movement for focusing.  That is why I asked you to tell us how to reproduce your issue.

Your post does not describe exposure settings, shooting conditions, AF mode, AF point selection, etc.  You ask if anyone else has experienced issues using AF.  I am sure other people have struggled to use the AF.  But, that does not mean their issues are the same as yours.

Paddysup
Contributor

But if you read my question, I am looking for anyone else who has had any issue at all.....anything. I am well aware of the variable and nuances of the R3. If there is someone who has the R3 who has had "ANY" auto focus issues, that is who I want to hear from. I have no diffuculty trouble shooting or isolating problems. As a matter of fact, in over 25 years of shooting Canon, this is the first time I have joined a forum and asked a question.

So if you have not had auto focus issues with your R3, guess there is no need to respond to my question. Unless of course you are a tech with Canon.

Offended is not the right description. Better is, looking for a simply answer to a simple question. Not looking for filler responses.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements