cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R vs D series jpeg quality

Chube
Contributor

You might have found similar question from me around the internet aince Im going crazy over it.. 

Planning to go back to canon after leaving a 60D and trying other brands.. 

I shoot often auto mode and always jpg (please avoid lecturing me about raw). 

Now after the 60D i found the new mirrorless Ive tried produce more soft/neutral/flat JPGs (probably because serious photographers will not use them anyway). 

Now those of you who have upgraded from Canon D to Canon R.. do you HONESTLY feel you still get those pleasing punchy sooc jpgs from the mirrorless? Or should I go back to some late dslr (maybe t8i to keep it small). 

I know I would miss the latest features but this quest is about finding the loved older jpg quality

22 REPLIES 22

Stephen

This sounds like your preferred Picture Style isn't being applied in the camera. 

This article is specifically for the EOS R100, but the concept is the same regardless: Picture Style Selection

You can't choose your Picture Style in A+ Scene Intelligent Auto, but you can in P, TV, Av, and M.

Thank you admin, but I don't think you read the question very carefully 

Which part? The part where you said that the images you tried were "flat" in JPG, or that you typically shoot in Auto?

The A+ mode on our cameras has improved greatly in the 14 years since the EOS 60D was introduced, so your results will likely be different from those of any newer camera compared to the EOS 60D.

Shooting in A+ mode automatically selects the best Picture Style for the shooting scenario; therefore, you can't modify the Picture Style. 

If you want to alter your images from the "default," you'll need to shoot in a non-automatic mode, which I indicated above. 

That said, most people consider "P" an automatic mode, and the picture style is customizable.

As you see I mentioned I tried other brands. 

What I want to know now if the color science of new R canon has more in common with other mirrorless or with dslrs, from the jpeg prospective.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Which RX did you try. Ken Rockwell - who also shoots only JPEGS hasn't noticed it.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

And here I thought he was trying to decide on a R series or D series camera.  🤣  (Initially anyway)

For vintage looking images, look at DxO Filmpack...  right after you buy a new or refurb R series body 😉

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports in fact I am deciding between D and R, as Im seeking the "D" look (without fussing with lightroom and raws). 

@Chube wrote:

@shadowsports in fact I am deciding between D and R, as Im seeking the "D" look (without fussing with lightroom and raws). 

I suggest shooting in Tv or Av mode and using the "Standard" picture style since it is advertised as making various Canon cameras have the same look.

When shooting JPEG only, there are several picture styles to choose from. If your EOS 60D used "Standard" as its default style, that might be the best choice to get a similar look on a newer camera.

https://global.canon/en/imaging/picturestyle/style/standard.html says "The “Standard” Picture Style is the default Picture Style setting for all present EOS DIGITAL lineups. Color uniformity is ensured, even if the model changes." So, it seems to me that would be the one to use if one wants the same look when changing camera models.

But now there is also "Auto" picture style and it is the default in newer cameras when using A mode. https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/infobank/picture-style/ "

• Auto: introduced with the EOS 600D in 2011, this Picture Style uses the camera's Scene Detection system, which automatically analyses the shooting conditions, looking at parameters such as a subject's face, colour, brightness, movement, contrast and focus distance. This enables the system to generate a Picture Style specific to each scene by adjusting contrast, colour tone, sharpness and saturation. Generally, the Auto Picture Style adjusts the colours so they look vivid, especially blue skies, greenery and sunsets."

Most of the R series cameras can also develop raw images in the camera without loading them onto a computer so one could save the same raw image in camera with more than one picture style. Some of the R series cameras allow one to specify digital lens optimizer for JPEG images also.

It seems to me that the straight out of camera JPEGS have improved over the years.

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Chube
Contributor

Just in case someone else cares, I might have found a good answer to the original question 

https://global.canon/en/imaging/picturestyle/qa/index.html#q4

Announcements