cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powering R5C w/ V-mount via Kondor Blue D-Tap/Dummy batt. cable

TyHarper
Apprentice

Hey all,

I thought I'd post my findings/experience powering my R5C's via V-mount using Kondor Blue's D-Tap/Dummy batt cable to see if others have experienced what I have, and/or can explain exactly why it is happening.

I have found that my R5C's will only work with this particular power configuration if, once connected, I wait 90 seconds before turning the camera on. If I turn it on earlier than that, the cam shuts down w/o fail.

One theory suggested by another owner on another forum was that the V-mount needs those 90 seconds to acclimate to the R5C's powering needs.

Once the 90 second 'acclimation period' is done - the R5C can be turned on/off with no issues. But if the V-mount is disconnected from the D-tap/Dummy batt cable for more than 90 seconds, the whole 'acclimation process' must be repeated in order for the cam to be powered properly again.

I have found this powering process to be repeatable using two different R5C units, that were using two different Kondor Blue D-tap/Dummy batt cables and two different FX-Lion Nano Ones that were themselves two different versions of the Nano One (V1 and V2). 

Aside from that 90 second 'acclimation' period, I've had no issues with the performance of these Kondor Blue cables. I've performed this process numerous times on shoots over the last several months and the results have been 100% consistent. It seems like the cables are meant to work this way, but I am curious whether anyone else has encountered this and/or have any thoughts/expertise on what might be happening. 

Thanks in advance! 

Also here is the Kondor Blue cable I am using: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1610309-REG/kondor_blue_kb_dtap_clpe6_d_tap_to_canon_lpe6.htm...

1 REPLY 1

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

I've not heard of this behavior before. Unfortunately I don't have a way to test because I use USB-C PD.  Have you reached out to Kondor blue?  Kondor makes quality products and your FX Lion v-mounts are top quality too.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

click here to view the gallery
Announcements