Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pop up flash canon 80d not working correctly

denhans
Contributor

Hy,

Im having trouble with my pop up flash.

When I want to take a picture in a darker room, the flash does pop up, and when I focus it strobes a bit. But when I take the Photo, it doesn't work, resulting in a dark photo.

I tryed dissassembling the shoe and made sure the little pop up button (wich detects external flash) is working properly.

In My oppinion it does, as it also pulls up the internal flash...

What could be causing this?

camera is around 8 years old, so no warranty, and before sending it to repair I want to try myself, Im a handy guy so...Just need to know where to start 🙂

12 REPLIES 12

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What mode are you using on the mode dial. In the creative zone ie (M, Av, TV & P) modes the flash can be disabled. But the AF Assist Beam from the built in flash will still work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

its the auto mode

Are you using Green Square Auto or Creative Auto Mode. Flash can be disabled in Full Auto Mode. Flash OFF 80D Pt. 1.pngFlash OFF 80D Pt. 2.png

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

the internal flash is set to auto on, i tryed setting it to on also, but same thing, it flashes for focusing, but not when taking the picture

Are you letting the built in flash recharge. When the built in flash is recharging the camera reports "busy". Heavy use of the AF Assist Beam will cause the built in flash to discharge quickly. With the lens set to MF. NOT the camera set to "M" mode will the flash fire. With the lens set to MF the AF Assist Beam won't fire. Manual Focus requires you to focus the lens. This is just a test to see if the built in flash is being discharged quickly when the AF Assist Beam is being used.

-Demetrius

I tryed MF and the flash pops up, but doesn't work...

amfoto1
Authority

Do yourself a huge favor.... Buy an accessory flash!

Built-in flashes are...

• Underpowered and weak.
  • In the worst possible place for problems with redeye and ugly shadow effects.
  • A heavy draw on the camera's battery.
  • Slow to recycle.

An accessory flash is much better in all respects. They are a lot more powerful giving greater reach. They can be positioned off-camera on a bracket that moves them higher up and off to the side, to reduce redeye and shadow issues (an off-camera shoe cord is used to connect the flash to the camera). And they have their own power supply that makes them much faster recycling. Depending upon the model, they also can have a lot more user control and work better in multi-flash groups.

For example, your 80D's built-in flash has a 12 meter guide number and coverage for the equivalent of 28mm wide lens on full frame (17.5mm on your APS-C camera). A Canon 430EX III-RT flash has a 43 meter guide number and a diffusion panel that allows it to be used with as wide as 14mm lens on full frame (8.75mm on APS-C). Without the diffusion panel it covers 24mm on FF (15mm on APS-C). Further, the 430EX III-RT's head can be redirected upward or rotated to bounce off a ceiling, wall or reflector or umbrella for much nicer lighting results than is typically possible with direct flash. Built-ins can only be used as direct flash.

Canon's "RT" flashes and accessories use radio communications for wireless remote flash setups... one or more units. Many other EX flash units that aren't RT can communicate wirelessly using near infrared light, which isn't as versatile or far reaching as the radio system, but still offers a lot of versatility.

In fact, your camera may be set up so that the on-board flash is trying to communicate with off-camera flashes, without itself being set to fire. I don't have an 80D, but know this is possible with some of the cameras that have built-in flashes. It's also possible that the flash is set to only provide "focus assist".  You might check your flash settings in the menu (see the user manual for help finding them).

But you still might want to consider an accessory flash, even if you get the built-in flash working again. I discovered that the built-in flash on one of my cameras was stuck.... about eight years after I bought it. That tells you about how often I use the built-ins! 

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Wireless E-TTL flash can't be used in Full Auto. But Flash Firing can be turned off in Full Auto (Green Square). Also the EL-5 supports ONLY radio transmission. Even though "RT" IS NOT in the name. It also can't be used on camera with certain cameras. But it can be an off camera receiver speedlite.

-Demetrius

I have one 🙂

But sometimes I want to take a quick picture and then I would use the internal one... It doesn't have to be pro al the time 🙂

But to answer the next question, when the external is mounted in the shoe, it works

Announcements