cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help flash not in sync with camera

rookieyearbook
Apprentice

Hello, 

I'm a rookie yearbook teacher.  I bought 5 canon dslr rebel sl2 cameras at the same time. 

Four are working just fine.  

I sit at my desk and point all 5 at the same spot but one camera turns out dark photos.  I have tried resetting all camera settings, I have replaced the battery, and I have tried matching settings side by side with the other identical cameras but nothing works. 

The pre-flash goes off every time, the flash does not seem to go off every time, but either way the photos from this one camera always turn out dark.  If i turn the flash off the shutter stays open longer and the pictures turn out brighter but I need them to be able to use it at a night game for homecoming this weekend.  

PLEASE HELP

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Has it worked before? It could be defective, call Canon.

It's worked for the past two years but now all of the sudden the photos are black.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Has it worked before? It could be defective, call Canon.

If it is not in wireless master mode - and the SL2 might not even be capable of that - then it should be working. My advice still stands, call Canon, it is probably defective.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I have tried resetting all camera settings, ..."

You "tried" but did you actually succeed? You need to be in M mode.  Did you have to reset the date/time?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I went into manual and did the clear all settings and the clear all format settings. Then I went line by line with other camera to make sure the settings matched.  All of the cameras worked the same until two days ago and I have no idea what changed but all of the sudden 1/5 has dark photos. 

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I have tried resetting all camera settings, ..."

You "tried" but did you actually succeed? You need to be in M mode.  Did you have to reset the date/time?

"I went into manual and did the clear all settings and the clear all format settings. "

Well you pretty much answered your question.  I think it has problems that need the service center.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are 2 possibilities that I see. As mentioned above, make sure the flash is not set to be a master for a wireless slave.

Also make sure that the flash firing is enabled instead of disabled. Disable will allow the flash to fire to act as a focus assist beam, but not during the shutter opening.

See pages 189-194 in the electronic version of the manual.

Announcements