cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos will not save to cards

jturner4lsu
Apprentice

I have a canon Rebel.  Its about 8yrs old.  I have tried two different memeory cards.  The photos take and will show on the display screen and every now and then I can preview them but after a few minutes they are gone as if I never took them.  I had about 50 from a baskelt ball game and 20 yesterday of my son outside.  I have checked all my settings and it is set to save to card.  Help!!  I cant afford a whoel new camera. 

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

First reset the camera.  It is in your Menus under the Tools.  Second buy a brand new SD or CF card which ever your Rebel uses.  Format it in the camera not on your computer.  If your Rebel uses a SD card make sure the R/W tab is set to Write and not on Read.

Try these and come back if nothing corrected the problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1wrote:

First reset the camera.  It is in your Menus under the Tools.  Second buy a brand new SD or CF card which ever your Rebel uses.  Format it in the camera not on your computer.  If your Rebel uses a SD card make sure the R/W tab is set to Write and not on Read.

Try these and come back if nothing corrected the problem.

To that I would add not to buy a memory card over 32GB to with an 8 year old camera. And, stick to major name brands like Lexar and Sandisk. If you buy SD cards, then only buy full size cards for your camera. The microSD card adapters are unreliable.

Avoid buying cards on eBay and Amazon, because there are lot counterfeit vendors on those sites. Buy your cards from factory authorized Caonon dealers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

good day

i have the same problem, i went under tools... theres no option to restart.

also, what is the R/W tab? where do i find it?

@aamina_essack wrote:

good day

i have the same problem, i went under tools... theres no option to restart.

also, what is the R/W tab? where do i find it?

Which shooting mode is the camera set to on the top mode dial?  You may not see the Camera Reset menu option until the camera is set to one of the Creative shooting modes: P, Av, Tv, or M.

The Read/Write tab is on the SD memory card itself.  It is may also be referred to as a Write Protect Switch.  The default switch setting on new memory cards should be “Write Enabled”, instead of “Write Protected”, which prevents writing to the card.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

" i went under tools... theres no option to restart."

No Canon camera I know of has a "restart" setting under any mode. You did not mention what camera you are using but the common setting you are looking for is called "Clear all settings" and "Clear all custom settings".

Try looking for a Tools drop down menu and under it you will probably see the Clear all settings.

If it is an older model and has a keep alive battery removing it and the main battery will reset the camera. Leave them out for 30 minutes. If it is a newer model removing the battery for several weeks will reset it.

" what is the R/W tab? where do i find it?"

There is a lock switch on the left side of SD cards. Make sure that switch is up in the unlock position. You will not be able to modify or delete the contents on the memory card if it is locked. Try formatting the SD card with a Windows computer (not a Mac) and try it in your camera. Never use a micro SD card and adapter. If that is what you are using, that is the problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements