cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photographing artwork with EOS Rebel T5, settings, indoor and outdoor procedure

Painterrob87
Apprentice

I would appreciate suggestions on photographing my paintings , indoors and outside.I have a Canon Rebel T5 Eos 1200D camera.I do not have a photo background and need help with settings, procedures, tips etc. Also suggestions for good books that would help specifically with photographing art work. 

Thanks ,Painterrob87

3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What lens do you have with your camera?

For lighting, recommend having very even lighting.  So if outside, an overcast day would be best.  If indoors, perhaps near a window that is letting light from outdoors (also overcast).

Prob best to be using a tripod such that the camera's lens would be perpendicular to the artwork.  If not, you'll end up with distortions.  You may end up with distoritions anyhow depending upon the lens you'll be using.  Thus, post processing work may needed.  You could use either Canon's free DPP or other applications such as Adobe Lightroom.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are trying to digitize the images?  The best any camera can capture in a single image would pe postcard quality, or social media quality.

if you want to digitize artwork, then handheld photos are not up to the task.  That means you need more gear and accessories with a high quality tripod being at the top of the list.  It is not a task for a beginner, either.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I am taking photos with camera on a tripod and using a cable release. Are you  saying that the Canon Rebel T5 is not up to the task of producing high quality photos?, i.e photos that might be used in a book? 

Announcements