cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPI

JPlum
Apprentice

I have my Rebel T7 to save in RAW format, and when I transfer photos to my computer (and run them through the Adobe DNG converter so I can use them in PhotoShop), they end up with a PPI of 240. I know I can just just change the resolution in PS, but that's an extra step. My last camera gave me 300ppi RAW images (that I didn't have to convert!). Is there something I'm doing/not doing that is giving me 240ppi, or is that just the CR2 format?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

PPI or DPI values are just a hint when it comes time to output the images to print or to a display.   You'll still have the same resolution for your images.   You can adjust the PPI/DPI as needed.

Having said all that, I don't think there's any standard and the PPI/DPI image metadata values have indeed been different over the years.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

PPI or DPI values are just a hint when it comes time to output the images to print or to a display.   You'll still have the same resolution for your images.   You can adjust the PPI/DPI as needed.

Having said all that, I don't think there's any standard and the PPI/DPI image metadata values have indeed been different over the years.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All Raw photos are shot at full resolution. In fact all photos shot at any file setting is done at full resolution. When a camera saves an image it reduces it according to what size you selected. If you use Raw no reduction is done and everything is left at full resolution. If you had small jpg selected the camera would compress the file substantially and delete the unused data. When you u/l to your commuter it is done as is. A small jpg remains a small jpg and a Raw remains a full Raw file. There is no DPI or PPI set or needed until you save a file in PS. These are printer specs. Not camera or PS specs.

This is a confusing subject lots of folks get caught up in. But rest assured you are editing the entire as shot Raw file in PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements