cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Gear

FiveseveN
Contributor

Anyone else with old gear?

I have a 12 year old Rebel XTi with a 60mm macro, 18-55 basic lens, and a 70-300 IS lens that seems to produce a lot of noise, especially at full zoom.

I bought the lenses at the same time. Is there anything I can do about the noise issue with the zoom? Not sure if the problem wasn't there before, or if I just didn't notice it before.

Other than the noise issue, I love my old equipment, and even if I eventually upgrade, will never part with it. (Unless it gets destroyed or something :P)

14 REPLIES 14

@FiveseveN wrote:

Not quite that bad but yes. Less so with my macro lens, but still seems to be more than it should.

Got my eye on a camera body.... but will take a while to save for it. any idea how much it would cost to get my current one refurbished?

The top and bottom picture above are the same picture at 400%. The only differene between the two is one has heavy global sharpenning applied. 

The problem is likely in your post processing rather than your camera.

Nah, I'm talking raw image before doing anything, browsing through and checking them at 100% I think though, part of my problem is camera shake, just enough to blur things just a little.... I hadn't noticed before, but I think my hands shake a little, they didn't in the past.

There was I time I could take a sharp photo at 1/15 of a second hand held. Factory work hasn't been so kind 😞 oh well... the tripod needs to come out and play more often 🙂

My sensor is old, and my camera needs a good cleaning. 100iso macro with a tripod is pretty good. My kit lens (18-55) is ok in bright light, fast shutter, but not so much under 1/100th of a second without a tripod... my zoom lens IS motor may be failing, and actually causing some issues, still need to test that.

@FiveseveN wrote:

Nah, I'm talking raw image before doing anything, browsing through and checking them at 100% I think though, part of my problem is camera shake, just enough to blur things just a little.... I hadn't noticed before, but I think my hands shake a little, they didn't in the past.

There was I time I could take a sharp photo at 1/15 of a second hand held. Factory work hasn't been so kind 😞 oh well... the tripod needs to come out and play more often 🙂

My sensor is old, and my camera needs a good cleaning. 100iso macro with a tripod is pretty good. My kit lens (18-55) is ok in bright light, fast shutter, but not so much under 1/100th of a second without a tripod... my zoom lens IS motor may be failing, and actually causing some issues, still need to test that.

Check out the Canon Online Store's Refurbished Section.  There should be a link the eStore home page in the lower right corner of most, if not all, of the forum pages.  I think you will benefit from the expanded ISO range of the newer models.  I don't think they make Rebels as robust as they used to.  

I think the current best value in the Canon lineup is the EOS 80D w/18-55mm STM lens.  The 18-55mm STM lens is a significant upgrade in performance over your current lens.  If you go with a Rebel, then go with a T6s.  I do not like the smallish battery in the newer T7i and 77D.

Upgrading your zoom can wait, if you do not use it a lot.  I would be inclined to save up, and wait for it to fail completely.  I would not recommend any of the EF 75-300mm lenses.  Either buy an updated version of your current lens, or the EF 70-200mm f/4L.

You might also consider buying a nice fast prime, like the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM, or the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM.  Note the letters "STM" on the end of the model numbers.  That series of lenses uses STM technology for the focusing motors, and is Canon's latest.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you very much, I was looking at the 77d/7Di. will have to check out the 80D

I have bought half a dozen DSLRs and given them away to friends and family, including two of these.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

At that price, it may not last the weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements