cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New DSLR Recommendations

bents1
Apprentice

I’m currently in the market for the 6D mark ii as i’m not ready to upgrade to mirrorless as i already have really good EF lenses but i currently shoot with the 2000D but im looking at the canon 6D Mark ii for £689 but i really want a full frame camera with flip out touch screen and this camera does it all is this a good idea or is there any other canon dslrs with same specs and features that i should know about ? thanks

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I purchased a 6D2 just for this feature, its articulating screen.  After owning a T6s, this was important for me.  You wont be unhappy with this body.  Its a very nice camera.   The 5D4 is in a slightly higher performance class, but has a fixed LCD.  I only use an articulating screen about 25% of the time, but when you need it, its great to have. No regrets for the 6D2, lots of great memories with it.  I could take well over a thousand shots on one battery using the LCD time sparingly.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 6D Mark II is a great camera.  It was the first full frame DSLR from Canon the included Bluetooth wireless communication.   The BT feature makes connecting to smart devices seamless.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

MaudeCassin
Apprentice

Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.

johnrmoyer
Mentor
Mentor

@bents1 wrote:

I’m currently in the market for the 6D mark ii as i’m not ready to upgrade to mirrorless as i already have really good EF lenses but i currently shoot with the 2000D but im looking at the canon 6D Mark ii for £689 but i really want a full frame camera with flip out touch screen and this camera does it all is this a good idea or is there any other canon dslrs with same specs and features that i should know about ? thanks

All of my EF and EF-S lenses work better with my EOS R5 than they do with my EOS 80D. I have not felt the need to purchase any RF lenses. An EOS R8 or an EOS R7 with adapter might work?

---
https://www.rsok.com/~jrm/

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

If you want to use an EF-S lens, you cannot do so with a FF DSLR - they physically do not fit and there is no adapter.  Leaving that aside, there are lots of FF DSLRs that might work for you.  The 6DMkII is a great camera (as Rick has said).

As far a the R-series Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera (MILC) bodies are concerned, there are several options here.  The current top-tier body is the R5, then the R6 and R6MkII, and then the R8.  The R7 is an APS-C camera so does not fit your FF requirement. The first three are prosumer bodies with the most features, but the R8 is a great camera, with the same sensor as the R6MkII, and a lot of other features, for a significantly lower price.  Of course there are compromises to get to that price point, but they may be ones you are happy to make.  See this video, which does a comparison of the three:

With regard to your lenses.  EF and EF-S lenses can be made to work with the R-series MILC bodies, via the EF-RF adapter, which works seamlessly.  There are some compromises however.  You will not get the integration of the Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) of the lenses and the In-Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) of the R5 and R6 bodies.  The R8 does not have IBIS so that is not an issue. 

Another issue is that if you put your EF-S lenses onto the any of the FF R-series MILC bodies, they will work but they will automatically put the sensors of the bodies into APS-C crop mode to match the Field of Capture (FoC) of the crop-sensor bodies they were designed for.  This will significantly reduce your pixel count by a factor of 2.56: so the R5 drops from 45MP to 17MP, the R6 from 20MP to 8MP, and the R6II and R8 drop from 24MP to about 9MP.  Whether this is significant is something you need to decide for yourself.

As regards the image quality of EF and EF-S lenses on the R-series FF bodies.  There is no doubt that native RF and RF-S lenses do have advantages in design, and some lenses are definitely noticeably ahead of the equivalent EF and EF-S units.  But as my respected colleagues state, and I too have found, in many cases this is not significant.  I would say that the older and/or cheaper the DSLR lens the more it is likely to be a risk.

Without doubt, the DSLR and M-series MILCs are living on borrowed time and are showing no further signs of development.  Supply of current models will continue as long as Canon sees a viable market, but it is clear that they are replacing the old gear with compelling new lenses and bodies, with many more to come. All that said, if you prefer (as you seem to suggest) to stick to a DSLR body, there are bargains to be had as folks move to the MILC platform.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

John_SD
Whiz

@bents1 wrote:

"I’m currently in the market for the 6D mark ii as i’m not ready to upgrade to mirrorless as i already have really good EF lenses..."

You indicate that you are "not ready" for mirrorless as you have EF lenses. Well, I would get ready. Rather than further investments in a dead end, I would look to sell your existing gear and move into mirrorless. You will only go deeper in the hole with additional investments into dead tech. You're going to love mirrorless. Don't worry about the old EF lenses. Just get a mount adapter. By most accounts the EF glass adapts wonderfully. A lot of folks who have moved into mirrorless had EF lenses and bought the adapter. The RF lenses are great. But in the end, it's your choice. Enjoy whichever path you take. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Take John's advice! 😊

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements