cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need recommendations for beginner camera and lens for bird photography

keenanbare
Apprentice

I'm totally new to photography and want to get a camera that I can use mostly for bird photography and for taking pictures during duck hunting of me, my dad, the birds we harvest, pictures of that sort. I may also dabble in some short video and casual pictures with friends, but would mostly be using the camera for bird photography and taking pictures during hunting.

I just recently purchased the Canon M50 Mark II, but am thinking about returning it. I have recently read some forums that it may not work well with telephoto lenses due to it's small/fragile size and build. Also, it seems that Canon is going away from the EF-M mount and towards the RF mount. I've read some forums that have recommended the R10 and R7, and that's currently what I have my eye on. I want something that I can grow into and with.

My price range is flexible, but would say that the upper limit is $2,000 (camera and lens included). Would be willing to go a bit higher if it's worth it.

58 REPLIES 58

Rumors can't be proven. That's why it's called a "rumor". 

-Demetrius
Bodies: EOS 5D Mark IV
Lenses: EF Trinity, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM
Retired Gear: EOS 40D, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM & EF 70-210mm F/4
Speedlites: 420EX, 470EX-AI, 550EX & 600EX II-RT

With the release of the EOS R50. It has practically replaced the EOS M50. So there's no need for EOS M/ EF-M anymore. It has been replaced with more modern technology. Also not all professionals use full frame. Mainly sports and wildlife shooters. APS-C cameras are the best for them.

-Demetrius

That may be, but I would still be concerned that RF APS-C users will be playing second fiddle to full frame models with regard to lenses tailored for their camera body.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

The same thing happened when Canon first released APS-C cameras. It takes awhile for them to build up an APS-C lens catalog. Canon's early APS-C cameras EOS D30, EOS D60 & EOS 10D aren't compatible with EF-S lenses. So you must use full frame EF lenses with those cameras. But all later cameras are compatible.

-Demetrius

So if someone wants a compact system with a good selection of lenses and they want the Canon brand and they don't want to wait possibly years for it, their only option right now is the M50 Mark II.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

8 lenses is rather limited selection.

-Demetrius

It may seem limited when you compare it to the number of, say, EF lenses that are available, but for someone who isn't going to spend more than twice as much on lenses as they spent on their camera body, there are no glaring omissions in the lineup and a couple of them would be considered fantastic for any camera. I have 3 Canon EF-Ms myself, and there is at least one more that is on my long-term wish list. (I also have a refurbished EF 50mm f/1.8 because it was easier to squeeze into my short-term budget than the EF-M 32mm f/1.4, as well as a refurbished EF 75-300mm that I got just because it was cheap and might be useful for getting a little more reach than my EF-M 55-200mm in some circumstances.)

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Then the RF Mount is not as limiting then when you adapt EF or EF-S lenses either. But EOS M was/ is a niche product. The line was designed to be small and not have too many bodies or lenses. Compared to the R series when there are more bodies available than EF-M bodies.

-Demetrius

If there was a limit placed on EF-M lenses I would say it's more of a price limit (e.g. no more than $500 U.S. for a single lens) than a quantity/type limit. The same seems to be true for bodies (e.g. under $1,000). Within those limits, I don't know what anyone could ask for that's not available.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

I am very interested in that EF-M 32mm f/1.4 myself, seems to have a good mixture of magnification and wide angle that I want. Problem is in one years time I intend to invest in a new camera in the $1500.00-2500.00 range preferable a mirrorless. I am getting the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens in the next 2 weeks and have to use the adapter with the M50 and will have to used the adapter to work it with the RF next year unless I trade it in for the mirrorless version though I have not heard anything about the mirrorless version as far as how it compares t

Announcements