cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on a upgrade from EOS 50D

Father1951
Contributor

I presently have a Canon50D that is on its last leg. I own 3 Tamron lenses. 17-50 2.8 a 60mm Macro and a 70-300. all 3 lenses do not have any image stabilization. I need to upgrade the camera. I really do not care anything about shooting videos. Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance!

21 REPLIES 21

Father1951
Contributor

Thank you, sir,.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have a hard time seeing a T8i as a worthy upgrade from a 50D ..."

I do see this a not only a good upgrade but in this case the best choice. I agree with Trevor on this one. Go for the Rebel T8i the best Rebel ever and quite a capable camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

What is the benefit of a T8i over an M50 Mark II? All of the head to head comparisons I find give the M50 Mark II at least a slight edge over the T8i, such as these:
https://pxlmag.com/db/camera-compare/Canon-EOS-M50-Mark-II-vs-Canon-EOS-Rebel-T8i

https://versus.com/en/canon-eos-m50-mark-ii-vs-canon-eos-rebel-t8i

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

Thank You.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"What is the benefit of a T8i over an M50 Mark II?"

Kevin,

The DSLR (Rebel T8i) is a dying series. The M series is already dead. A 50D is more like a Rebel T8i than it is like an M50. The T8i has an extreme line up of native lenses and accessories at its disposal. When comparing cameras you must look over the entire package and not just your favorite specs.

EB

I agree with you that the DSLR is dying. So why suggest someone invest more money in that type? I don't understand the basis for the statement, "the M series is already dead," unless you're expecting Canon to simply abandon most of the amateur/budget hobbyist market. (There really is no room to push an RF mount camera to significantly lower price points than they already occupy, if that's what you're thinking.) As for lenses, I don't think you grasp how practical it is to use EF and EF-S lenses on an M-mount camera. Lots of people buy an M50 with the full intention of using EF and EF-S lenses, even when there are EF-M lenses available to cover the same range. For instance, the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS is very popular among M50 users, even though there is an EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS lens available. And the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM (nifty fifty) is extremely popular among M50 users - I would say at least 20% of the shots posted in an M50 Facebook group I'm in are taken with that lens.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... has an extreme line up of native lenses and accessories at its disposal..."

Kevin,

You asked why, I explained why. If you don't agree that's fine. The M series is already at a dead end. It never was a viable series from day one. It was a stop gap. Do they make enough money to continue developing them? The release of two RF-mount cameras and an RF-S lens suggests not. It’s an RF future, not an M future.

EB

Then I guess for people like me Canon intends the future to be with another brand.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

I have been thinking the same thing.

Announcements