cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on a upgrade from EOS 50D

Father1951
Contributor

I presently have a Canon50D that is on its last leg. I own 3 Tamron lenses. 17-50 2.8 a 60mm Macro and a 70-300. all 3 lenses do not have any image stabilization. I need to upgrade the camera. I really do not care anything about shooting videos. Looking for recommendations. Thanks in advance!

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is your budget?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

$600.00 to $700.00.

Do you want to upgrade any of the lenses at the same time, and if so, is that within the $700 budget limit?

Are you happy to stick to a DSLR format?  This would save money on adapters etc.

It is virtually impossible to get any camera these days that does not have video capability, so just ignore those features in any camera we recommend.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have considered selling all of what I have and purchase a M50 Mark2 from Canon refurbished. 

That is not quite what I asked...   If you sold everything, including lenses and went to the M-series cameras, you will be buying into a dying series.  Canon have not produced anything new in that range for years and they are clearly wanting to wean people off the M-series and onto the new R-series crop-sensor bodies.  Is there a specific reason you want to go to the M-series?

Are your existing lenses working to your satisfaction, or do you want to get a replacement for them?  To be honest, I suspect that in selling your existing gear you will not do so quickly, nor will they get much money.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

All of my equipment is pretty old. The 17-50 is a good lens and the 60 mm is really good. I'm retired and on a fixed income, so I have to be careful. Had also considered looking for a refurb SL3 or T7.  I would love to go to a R body but cannot do it right now.

I had a look at the Canon Refurbished store for you.  There is one unit that might work for you. You can check it out AT THIS LINK - the unit is a good one and you get the actually rather good EF-S IS 18-55 STM lens - so it has stabilization and is image stabilized.  It is pretty close to your budget.  These units are essentially as new and come with a one-year Canon warranty.

cheers, TREVOR

Thank you, sir. I appreciate your help!!

I have a hard time seeing a T8i as a worthy upgrade from a 50D but not an M50 Mark II. I actually almost bought a T8i a few months ago, but then decided on an M50 when I learned more about it and the differences between a DSLR and a mirrorless. The M50 can use all of the lenses that a T8i can with a relatively inexpensive adapter (I recently paid $40 for a Viltrox that works well). Plus, the M50 gives you the benefits of a mirrorless, including a more compact package and a consistent auto-focus capability that works the same whether you're shooting with the viewfinder or the live view screen. While Canon isn't likely to develop new EF-M lenses (not like there are any glaring omissions in what they currently do offer), third parties still do, and Canon is in a position where it really won't be able to quit producing the M50 and compatible lenses for some time, unless it's willing to completely abandon a huge segment of the market.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements