cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror problem on 20D

Darkves
Apprentice

Hello,
I have a problem with an old Cannon EOS 20D digital camera.
Recently the camera can`t raise the main and secondary mirror all the way up and because of that the mirror casts shadows when shooting.
Does anyone have an idea what can be the problem?

IMG_8541.jpg

4 REPLIES 4

Tim
Authority

Hello Darkves,

This is not a normal issue with the camera and perhaps a reset can resolve this. 

1.  Turn the camera OFF and remove the memory card and battery.

2.  Detach the lens and place it out of the way.  Use the camera body cap to prevent dust from getting inside. 

3.  Let the camera sit for about 20 minutes.

4.  In the interim please clean the lens contacts with a soft, new, lint free micro fiber cloth.  Use the microfiber cloth to gently rub across the lens contacts. 

5.  Put these items back in the camera and turn the power switch to <OFF> and <ON> again.

6.  Using the Mode Dial, change from Auto to Program and back while trying to shoot with the camera. 

- Check and clean the battery contacts or use a fully charged battery. 

If completing the above steps fail to resolve the issue then normally we would recommend service, but the EOS 20D is out of service life.  We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you. 

We may have an alternative for you though, so please give Canon Pre Sales a call at 1-800-828-4040 and follow the prompts for Sales and Accessories.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for your answer.
Reset didn`t give any results, netiher did changing the mod during shooting.

Here is the shot of white screen:

IMG_0007.jpg

Searching the internet, I saw that someone had a simmilar problem occuring with 300D. The problem was a broken plastic pin, but that is not the problem here.

IMG_8543-1.jpg

I miss focus 🙂

This camera has taken a lot of pictures. Could it be that the problem is with a gear in the mirror box or that some spring is loose?

I have the same issue on my EOS 20D. To prevent the shadows at the bottom of my astrophotographies, I locked the mirror flipped. Is there any possible correction for this issue?

Yes, a local camera repair shop.  But keep in mind the 20D and how much they are worth.  You will quickly exceed the value of the camera with almost any repair.

It is possible it is just dirty and needs a C&C.  Be a shame not to see.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements