cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mirror lock-up in T7?

MacroDave
Contributor

Hello all,

I've recently gotten back into photography as a hobby after being away from it for a lot of years. I picked up a Rebel T7 2-lens kit (plus I still have a couple of lenses from the past) and have read the manual twice, but still might have missed the answer to my question:

Does the T7 have a mirror lock-up function?

I've been reading a lot of photography books, and they all recommend locking up the mirror when using telephoto to avoid blur from the mirror shaking the camera. I was thinking that maybe the mirror locked up when Live View was being used, but I haven't verified this yet.

Thanks very much.

22 REPLIES 22

@rrrccc01 wrote:

Actually, that description sounds more like you need a better tripod head.  

"I guess I didn't make myself clear."  I just told you how to do Mirror Lockup on your T7.  You have to use Quick Mode to do it manually using Quick Mode in Live View.  It will not do it automatically.  Similarly, you cannot adjust exposure in less than whole stops, but there is a manual work around to do so.  Use Exposure Compensation.

Canon will not update the firmware to do it automatically, either.  You will see.  

My work is done here.  Good Luck.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

AF is not in play, your "work" is done

Hi. I have the european version of the T7, the 2000D.

I think that it's possible to have mirror lock-up and that the other poster suggested it albeit in a quite confusing manner...

By using the live view (using the screen to see the image) the mirror stays up all the time. At shot time there will be no shake at all.

Of course it will eat the battery a bit, but it should perfectly work 🙂 . One way to mitigate the battery drain, especially at night will be to reduce brightness of the screen in Menu mode.

Old man but young photographer 🙂

Guy2

If I may add, I think that the same result can be achieved by using an iphone/ipad to remote control by wifi: this way the mirror is always up too. Best, there is not hand movement recorded when shooting remotely on the iphone/ipad.

Hello, 

Thanks for your post but using "live View" the mirror does not "stay up all the time" at least not a a US T7.

Did you test it?

What firmware version do you have?

Mine is 1.1.0, maybe it's different. 

Regards

RC

Hi.

I'm on the 1.1.0 version too.

I was satisfied with my night photos using only remote shooting with my ipad. I can't see no shake on the photo, only the little trails caused by earth rotation on a long (edit: aperture) shutter speed.

It is my understanding that Live View needs to put the mirror up so that light from the subject reaches the sensor (When not in Live View, the mirror is in front of the sensor, blocking light to the sensor, but bringing the image to the visor).

The sound that is heard when shooting should be the sound of the shutter, not of the mirror.

Sorry if I'm not clear, here are some posts on another forum that talks about DSLR mirror in a general manner.

Excerpt: " The mirror is already locked up when you enter live view. That is the mechanical sound you hear when you press the button that turns live view on.

The only mechanical motion in live view is the shutter, which slaps the camera a bit less than the mirror."

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4442513

Another answer to the same concern, about the difference between Live View and Mirror Lockup:

"The short answer is yes, using live view is the equivalent from a mirror movement point of view as using mirror lock-up. (The mirror doesn't drop again).

However in the normal live view case the shutter curtain must reset before the exposure can begin. This results in one more mechanical action than just using mirror lock-up and not live view."

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/63680/does-shooting-in-live-view-also-act-as-mirror-lockup

Hello, 

Canon says live view does not lock the mirror on a T7. I tested it and can feel the vibration. . 

Long aperture? 

Whatever. 

RC

You are clear, but wrong.

Liveview does require the miror to be up, but it is actually *worse* than mirror lockup because the mirror has to swing down  when the shutter closes and focus, and then swing back up for the shot.

In mirror lockup, you hit the button to lock up the mirror, then hit the button again to open the shutter and take the picture.

kvbarkley

Thanks for that!

I'll put this one to bed. 

RC

Announcements