cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory card for 7D: Recently bought 100X CF card; sometimes records slowly and sometimes locks up 7D

Ed-7
Apprentice

Recently bought new memory card for faster writng for wildlife photography. Card sometimes writes slowly and sometimes locks up camera. A while back I got a notice for firmware update on 7D, but was having problems with internet connection and never did it. If this is the problem, where can I find the link on the Canon website?  Or is this a different issue?

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The latest firmware for a 7D is v2.0.3.  You can find it here:  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware

You can find Canon's comparison of performance here:  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS7D_firmware_compare

I normally only shoot RAW... but if you're needing continuous burst speed with a large number of frames, the number of shots you can get in JPEG is considerably more than you can get with RAW before the camera buffer fills and the frame-rate drops.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

First off upgrade the firmware.

Now have you made a slight error in the thread title, you say a 100X card, well that's a VERY slow card and it will take a while for the camera to empty it's buffer. I'm guessing you meant a 1000X card, if so there shouldn't be a problem unless your shooting dozens of raw images at a time in high burst mode

Please don't tell us you bought the card of ebay, as there are so many fakes on there it unbelievable.

EF 24-70 f/2.8 L, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 EF 1.4 II Extender

580EX MKII, 430EX MKII

Sorry, it 's a Lexar Professional 1000X and I bought it from B&H. The problem occurred in single shooting in JPEG or RAW.

Sorry, it was a Lexar 1000X, and it would have the problem on single shooting in JPEG or RAW. I would have to turn off the camera, remove the battery and restart

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Ed-7!

What version of the firmware do you have on your EOS 7D? 

If it is not up to date, I recommend doing so.  Per what TCampbell wrote above, the latest firmware for a 7D is v2.0.3.  You can find it here:  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d#DriversAndSoftware.

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the imput. I contacted Lexar support and they said try a different memory card and if it works, return the questionable card for exchange. I'll try that, but I will update the firmware at my 1st opportunity.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements