cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max aperature

irish626
Contributor

Recently an "alleged professional photographer" told me that if I was using a lens that had an aperature or f5.6 that I could not set the aperature to anything but 5.6. I think this may be not true based on some photos I took with my 70D and a 400mm f5.6l lens but I am not able to find a definitive statement to verify the face.

Please comment.

 

tnx marty

9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority

@irish626 wrote:

Recently an "alleged professional photographer" told me that if I was using a lens that had an aperature or f5.6 that I could not set the aperature to anything but 5.6. I think this may be not true based on some photos I took with my 70D and a 400mm f5.6l lens but I am not able to find a definitive statement to verify the face.

Please comment.

 


You can not set it larger than f/5.6, you can set it smaller than f/5.6. (remember smaller f/number larger aperture, larger f/number smaller aperture)

 

For example your EF 400mm f/5.6L can be set at any aperture from f/5.6 to f/32. Depending on how your camera is set this can be in 1/3, 1/2, or whole stop increments. 

ebiggs1
Legend

You have the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens?  The  "alleged professional photographer" is correct incorrect.  The question is, why do you think this not to be so?  There must be something that you have seen or read to contradict this.

There are lenses that can not change their aperture but the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens is not one of them.

 

f5.6, like all f-stops, is a ratio.  It will not be the same size in all lenses.  Perhaps that is what you are thinking?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

@irish626 wrote:

Recently an "alleged professional photographer" told me that if I was using a lens that had an aperature or f5.6 that I could not set the aperature to anything but 5.6.


@ebiggs1 wrote:

 

 The  "alleged professional photographer" is correct. 



Don't you mean is INCORRECT.

 

The EF 400 f/5.6L can be set to apertures other than f/5.6, just not wider than f/5.6.

 

As you said 'There are lenses that can not change their aperture but the Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens is not one of them.'

"Don't you mean is INCORRECT."

 

Yes sir, you are 'correct'!  I edited the post.

 

 After re-reading the OP post, I think there must be a misunderstanding.  Why would anyone that had a camera for any length of time think that?  Let alone a, "alleged professional photographer" ?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!


@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Don't you mean is INCORRECT."

 

Yes sir, you are 'correct'!  I edited the post.

 

 After re-reading the OP post, I think there must be a misunderstanding.  Why would anyone that had a camera for any length of time think that?  Let alone a, "alleged professional photographer" ?


I would chalk it up as something getting lost in the fog of war during the conversation.  The lens does meter only at f/5.6.  Who knows what was really asked, and what question was actually heard.  Ditto, for the expert answer.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I said he was an "alleged professional photographer" because I didnt know the guy from the man in the moon. I  was looking at lenses in a camera store and he just started giving unsolicited advice. I know I have set the aperature on my 400mm f5.6L lens at aperatures smaller than 5.6 . So, I knew the info he gave me was at least partially incorrect and I doubted his "professional status" thus my question of this forum. 

Thank you for your remarks and advice, it is appreciated.

 

marty

 


@irish626 wrote:

I said he was an "alleged professional photographer" because I didnt know the guy from the man in the moon. I  was looking at lenses in a camera store and he just started giving unsolicited advice. I know I have set the aperature on my 400mm f5.6L lens at aperatures smaller than 5.6 . So, I knew the info he gave me was at least partially incorrect and I doubted his "professional status" thus my question of this forum. 

Thank you for your remarks and advice, it is appreciated.

 

marty

 


I'm guessing he may have been referring to metering.  It's the only thing that is restricted to only f/5.6, under normal conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think you are being too generous. Before the internet that was how I heard most of my bad information. Some random guy coming up to you in a store with unsolicited advice. 8^)


@kvbarkley wrote:

I think you are being too generous. Before the internet that was how I heard most of my bad information. Some random guy coming up to you in a store with unsolicited advice. 8^)


LOL, the "random guy coming up to you" was usually the salesperson.  Smiley LOL

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements

08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 300
08/09/2022: New firmware version 1.2.0 is available for CR-N 500
07/28/2022: New firmware version 1.2.1 is available for EOS-R3
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R5
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.6.0 is available for EOS-R6
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R7
07/21/2022: New firmware version 1.1.0 is available for EOS-R10
07/14/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1 is available for CR-X300
07/01/2022: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for PowerShot PICK
06/30/2022: Service Notice: EOS 70D: Error 70 or Error 80
06/10/2022: Service Notice:UPDATE: Canon Inkjet Printer continuous reboot loop or powering down
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.3.2 is available for PowerShot G7 X Mark III
06/07/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3 is available for EOS M50 Mark II
05/31/2022: Did someone SAY Badges?
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.5.1 is available for EOS-C500 Mark II
05/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C300 Mark III
05/10/2022: Keep your Canon gear in optimal condition with a Canon Maintenance Service
05/05/2022: We are excited to announce that we have refreshed the ranking scale within the community!
04/26/2022: New firmware version 1.0.1.1 is available for EOS R5 C
03/23/2022: New firmware version 1.0.3.1 is available for EOS-C70
02/09/2022: Share Your Photos is back!
02/07/2022: New firmware version 1.6.1 is available for EOS-1DX Mark III
01/19/2022: READY FOR ANYTHING EOS-R5 C
01/13/2022: Community Update. We will be retiring the legacy profile avatars on 01/20/2022. Click this link to read more.
01/05/2022: Welcome to CES 2022!
12/7/2021: New firmware version 1.3.0 is available for Mount Adapter EF-EOS R 0.71x