cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making me crazy

jaymack
Enthusiast

OK, I'm an experienced film/DV/HD user but my Canon 60d, which I've had for 2 months, has gone dark in LCD screen for video. If I point it at only the light I can see that but nothing around. I can't move the increments to make it brighter. My shutter is set at 50 and I adjust the aperture to 3/5 but LCD is still dark. Worked perfectly until I obviously pressed the wrong button?

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

I have no experience with video, but it sounds like you're underexposing.  Are you shooting in manual (I have no idea, is that all people use in video?).   Now that I think about it I really don't know how the "shutter speed" works in video, are aperture and ISO the only two variables you have?  Regardless, it sounds like you need to move one or both of them up (well,  aperture move down, so you get more light).

This is what I figured out last nite. Seems that if I go to manual for settings I can't use that bar that slides to right or left. Manual says to press UNLOCK button but that doesn't do anything. When I go to Auto I can use the bar. I guess I need to figure out why I can't use the bar in manual. Guess this Canon website is only for stills, so I will look for Canon video forums.

No, the bar is for the automatic and semi-automatic modes like Av or Tv.  There is still marker in manual (for stills at least) to tell you where the camera thinks the exposure lays, but in manual you manually select the exposure settings.  The bar allows you to select the exposure, not exposure settings.

thanks, but the bar works for auto in movie mode and should work the same in manual as per page 174. I discovered that there's a video forum here now, so won't bother you still guys any more.
Announcements