cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 video quality problem

Piotr82
Apprentice

[To help users who might be encountering the same problem, we've restored the original text to provide context to the replies below]

Hi, I'm new user of M50 and I have a video quality problem. When I take a photo, it looks great, but when I shoot video with same settings and same light, it looks much worse. . Here is an example (left is still from video, right is photo)

I use kit lens (15-45), auto white balans, auto picture profile and auto ISO (proper exposure). 4K with point focus. Could it be some problem with my lens (it's brand new)? Or is this normal?

M50 video quality I see on youtube seems way nicer and crispier. This is dark and kinda blurry, even though it's shot with a lot of light (2 softboxes).

Please advice me how to get video look more like photo. Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

I've sold the camera and bought Lumix G7 instead:)

So... after owning the camera for about 6 months, I've came to the conclusion that it's just not a great camera. The photo quality is great, but the video just sucks for some reason.

I split tested different picture profiles, and found these settings for the best quality (fine detail) (go to manual, not movie mode to set this, since there's more options and the settings carry over):

IMG_6284.jpg

Also: NEVER shoot flat/log/cinestyle on 8-bit cameras like the m50. I could go into depth explaining it, but 8-bit footage can only hold so much information. When you shoot flat, your color range becomes much smaller, all that extra color information is lost, and after color-correcting the footage looks more muddy and has artifacts. You want to get the best footage out of the camera.

I usually shoot 1080@60fps because I speedramp lots of my work, and the quality DOES NOT compare to 720p on an iPhone, or any other camera. I use it mostly on my RS2. Even at ISO 100 in great lighting, there is so much hf noise and it looks like everything is out of focus, but it's not. 

I've just learned to accept it for what it is and use it for social media, where I can downsample it to get rid of some of the noise, and live with the shoddy quality.

You can make decent work for social media though, here's a video I did for a truck owner:

A post shared by Riley Barabash (@rileybarabash221)

I've also seen some amazing quality on the M50 by this guy: BBA Weekly Vlog

If you have any other thoughts on how to improve the capabilities of this camera let me know.

Popo_Lino
Contributor

A very familiar situation, my friend bought this camera and was just very disappointed, sold it after a couple of days. He bought it in order to shoot content for Instagram and YouTube, and post using Onlypult, but he did not like the quality. Waste of money as I can understand.

I hope he can learn all the complexities of shooting video and get near professional results in just a couple of days time from whatever brand of new brand of camera he replaces it with.

Robot Frustrated

rileybarabash
Contributor
Regardless of his skills, a $800 camera will never compare to something full frame like the r5. I ended up selling mine and I’m glad I did, 720p on iPhone was almost better than the 4k on the m50. Nothing to do with focus, just lack of image definition. Bottom line, if you’re a detail oriented videographer that won’t settle for unprofessional work, spend the money and buy something better.
Announcements