cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M50 video quality problem

Piotr82
Apprentice

[To help users who might be encountering the same problem, we've restored the original text to provide context to the replies below]

Hi, I'm new user of M50 and I have a video quality problem. When I take a photo, it looks great, but when I shoot video with same settings and same light, it looks much worse. . Here is an example (left is still from video, right is photo)

I use kit lens (15-45), auto white balans, auto picture profile and auto ISO (proper exposure). 4K with point focus. Could it be some problem with my lens (it's brand new)? Or is this normal?

M50 video quality I see on youtube seems way nicer and crispier. This is dark and kinda blurry, even though it's shot with a lot of light (2 softboxes).

Please advice me how to get video look more like photo. Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

The camera is probably not truly capturing 4K.  Many consumer models will do zero oversampling.  Remember, pixels in the context of image sensors are not true pixels, so when no oversampling is done, you're left with sub-par interpolated results.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I use 4K to try to get better quality, but it's the same problem with 1080, it never seems to get sharp and nice looking, no matter what resolution. 

@Piotr82 wrote:

I use 4K to try to get better quality, but it's the same problem with 1080, it never seems to get sharp and nice looking, no matter what resolution. 

You are comparing apples to oranges.  The stills resolution is 24MP.  A frame of 4K video is equivalent to 8MP. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok, but the photo comparison doesnt really matter, I'm telling you the quality is worse than that shot by others. So I'm wondering if it's some settings I have to change, or if there is some other problem with it.

@Piotr82 wrote:

Ok, but the photo comparison doesnt really matter, I'm telling you the quality is worse than that shot by others. So I'm wondering if it's some settings I have to change, or if there is some other problem with it.

You cannot look at a single video frame and make a determination on how sharp the image is when the subject is moving.  A single frame will always capture motion, making the image seem OOF, out of focus, when in fact it is not.  The motion blur comes from the MUCH slower shutter speeds used to capture video.

I am not familiar with that kit lens.  I own an M3.  The only EF-M lens I own is the EF-M 22mm f/2 STM.  It is tack sharp when it comes to taking stills.  I suggest that you start small, shoot Full HD, until you can figure out the camera and how to shoot video.

HINT:  Before you can become a good videographer, you must first and foremost be a good photographer.

All of your complaints have a common theme.  You do not fully understand photography, and how interchangeable lens cameras work.  Are familiar with the Exposure Triangle or Depth of Field?  You 

The first thing I'd try is to establish proper still photo exposure settings for the scene, subject and lighting conditions of your video. Maybe set the camera to M mode and lock in the shutter speed at 1/60th of a second. Then manually adjust the aperture and ISO to obtain the proper exposure and make a note of your settings. This accounts for how the "exposure triangle" works as Waddizzle mentions above.

Switch the camera over to video in manual mode and set your exposure settings from above. Disable any auto exposure adjustments like Auto ISO and maybe even Auto White Balance. I'm thinking that manually locking in all the exposure settings in video mode will likely provide you with better looking video.

rileybarabash
Contributor

What was your solution?

Just bought this camera a week ago and I am encountering the same issue. Seems as if the frames are incredibly "soft" and low detail, The 720p on my EOS R is much better than the 1080 on my M50.

Shooting at 1080p 59.94fps, 1/60s shutter, 5200K WB, ISO 100 F4.0.

I don't think it's a hardware issue since still images are crystal clear (on the same settings):

IMG_0034.png

Here is a screengrab of the video. You can see the softness in the image. Yes, it is in focus.

Screen Shot 2020-1d2-13 at 3.54.29 PM.png

Any suggestions?

Screen grabs?  You should grab a frame of the actual video.  

Comparing video frames to still images, is comparing apples to oranges.  Video frames are not as high resolution as still photographs.  A single frame of Full HD 1080p is equivalent to 2MP still image.  A single frame of 4K video is equivalent to a 8MP stil image.

BTW, there is nothing that jumps out as wrong with your screen grabs.  You're barking up the wrong tee.  Enjoy your camera.

DylanE
Apprentice

What was the solution you discovered? I am experiencing the same issues. 

Announcements