cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Light Landscape Photography

Kisola1975
Apprentice
What camera would work best for low light landscape photos? I’m currently shooting a 5D MII and need an upgrade.
Thanks
K
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Kisola1975 wrote:
What camera would work best for low light landscape photos? I’m currently shooting a 5D MII and need an upgrade.
Thanks
K

I started working as a landscape, travel and wildlife photographer about 40 years ago, so I hope I have some experience to draw upon in my opinion. 

Personally, without inquiring further into what you produce - particulaly in terms of image size, I would recommend the Canon EOS R6.  The sensors on the new crop of MILCs are really excellent for low-light work.  Now, the R5 has more pixels at 45MP, but reviews, and my own experience. is that the R6's 20MP has about 1 EV, better performance.  I have both units and they are excellent.

I would suggest watching THIS review by Gordon Laing.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

I have the EOS 5DMkIII, IV, DsR and the R5 and R6 units.  I still shoot with all of them and I would be the last to say that they are not all great cameras.  However, the question, as I understand it, is what should one invest in if seeking to make a long-term purchase for landscape that will provide high-quality prints, work with existing optics but be able to take advantage of future developments in optics (since this is a long-term thing).

Without doubt, using a tripod is a habit I would expect experienced landscape photographers to embrace, so I didn't press that one.  One can STILL get good images from any of the above units.  However, it is clear that the new generation of sensors from the latest generation of MILCs is superior to the old ones and there are other benefits as well.  That is why I provided the link to the review so that the OP could make up their own mind based on documented testing and not just our opinions: which I think is the best service we can render.

There are other benefits to going to the R-series.  The legacy EF lenses will work perfectly fine with the new bodies, via the Canon EF-RF lens adapters, however it is clear that the new line-up of superior optics is going to be in the RF lens catalogue, so embracing the R-mount is an investment in the future as well as securing the past.

I am not sure about my esteemed colleagues, I am speaking from extensive use and testing of these bodies with different lenses (see my profile for my rather extensive gear list) so I am speaking form personal experience as well as relying on unbiased reviews.  For further ones I recommend checking out Dustin Abbott's You Tube reviews of the R bodies and lenses.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Kisola1975 wrote:
Thanks
K

I started working as a landscape, travel and wildlife photographer about 40 years ago, so I hope I have some experience to draw upon in my opinion. 

Personally, without inquiring further into what you produce - particulaly in terms of image size, I would recommend the Canon EOS R6.  The sensors on the new crop of MILCs are really excellent for low-light work.  Now, the R5 has more pixels at 45MP, but reviews, and my own experience. is that the R6's 20MP has about 1 EV, better performance.  I have both units and they are excellent.

I would suggest watching THIS review by Gordon Laing.

cheers, TREVOR

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Kisola1975 wrote:
Thanks
K

A tripod just might be your best investment.  You can shoot everything at ISO 100.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"A tripod just might be your best investment."   ... and the camera you have should do the job nicely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you just have to have that new camera, I understand, personally I would go for the 5D Mk IV. I know all the world is switching to mirrorless but I am not there .........yet! Going to the 5D4 you wil be right at home with it. All your lenses will work as is, too.

EB

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Check out the hand held low light shots here.

Note, that this is a living page and the images will eventually scroll down the page.

Greetings,

Tripod for low light landscapes absolutely.  Also yes, keep your current EF lenses too...  These last few years have been a little tough.  CMOS performance / techology has been greatly improved.  We know now there won't be a 5D5 and that DSLRs are done.  

5D3 is 10 yrs old (yes time for an upgrade)

A 5D4 is about 6 yrs now.  

I'm in a similar position, but have a newer body.  Getting a new mirrorless body is tempting, but like others, the compromises that have come along with the first 3 gens have been enough to disuade me.  With no other options, I'd probably buy an R6.  To ebiggs1 point..  even though the 5D4's technology is becoming dated now, its still one of the best performing body's ever made.  Right now you could go either direction for only a couple of hundred dollars.     

The refurb store has got some super affordable good deals:

Canon Refurbished EOS Interchangeable Cameras | Canon Online Store

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Kisola1975
Apprentice
Note. My 5D MII broke so this is less about having to have the newest technology and more about narrowing down my choices. I primarily shoot sunsets and print big. Thanks

5D Mk IV and a tripod!  Smiley Happy  That is the best solution, IMHO, of course.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

5D Mk IV and a tripod!  Smiley Happy  That is the best solution, IMHO, of course.

+1 on ebiggs1 recommendation.

If you print big<<  Then the 5D4 wins over the R6.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements