cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to upgrade from canon rebel t5i

Kcpaulino
Contributor

I’ve been shooting Motorsports, mostly panning photos but working my way into doing still as well. I feel like my rebel t5i is a bit slow in the shutter speed and AF for what im doing and looking to upgrade. I mainly use an EF 70-200m f2.8 lens. I’ve been researching and saw that canon stopped making EF compatible and will need to eventually go towards RF but I think with an adapter I’ll still be able to use my EF. I’d like to stay  under $2500 if possible. Open to suggestions please! 

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

The Canon EF glass will work (with some variations) fairly seamlessly on R-series bodies using the Canon EF-RF adapters.  I have a huge range of legacy glass (see my profile) and have tested most of it with the R5 and R6 and they have worked well.   For motorsport, Canon offer some great new features for you.  There are features for eye tracking for animals, humans and now humans in cars.  So, that might be perfect for you.

Much depends on what you are going to produce - and how close you get to the action.  The current Full Frame R6 has a 20MP sensor and has extremely good dynamic range, meaning you can use the camera with a high ISO to get fast shutter speeds in less than bright conditions.  The new R7 is an APS-C crop body and has much the same tracking features as the R6, but being a crop sensor, will produce a smaller Field of View that brings you closer to distant subjects - in that respect it will feel much like your current T5i.  You can get those bodies for under $2000 as I understand it (I don't live in the US, so you need to check prices where you are) - HERE  is the listing for the R7 on Canon's own website FWIW.   If you want a lens that is native to the RF mount, to take advantage of the IBIS and focusing benefits, I personally recommend the RF 24-240: it is an amazing performer and much better than one might expect.  It will give you a super-wide range of focal lengths to deal with a lot of situations.  HERE is a link to a review by the respected You Tuber, Gordon Liang of Cameralabs.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks so much for all the info! I’m thinking the r7 would be best next step for me right now. The crop frame, I feel, is better suited for the types of photos I shoot right now and with the access I have to those subjects. I But I’m still doing research. I think if I’m able to get better “media” access in the future, I’ll have to start thinking about getting a full frame. I appreciate all the insight you’ve given! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I would also check out the 90D before you buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Will def look into it. Suggestion to why 90D or the 1D over the R7? 

The R7 has the tracking and In Body Stabilization features that I described, no DSLRs have those.  Some of our community has a preference for DSLRs, which is their prerogative, but I give advice based on what's best for you rather than my own personal biases.  Ernie has been honest about his approach, which I respect. Given the R7 has a crop sensor, of a size almost identical to that of the 90D but vastly superior stabilization and tracking. 

I would also suggest checking out some independent reviews, on-line and perhaps reaching out to other people who shoot the same subjects as you. Your existing lenses will work fine on the R7 when using the EF-RF adapter.  If in doubt I suggest you go and hire a unit for a day or two and shoot your motorsport.  If you do, take the time to learn how to set up the tracking etc.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The R7 tracking and stabilization is definitely what is drawing me to it. Thank you for your input and suggestion! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Suggestion to why 90D ..."

Nothing really. The 90D is the best crop sensor camera Canon has ever made and you seem happy and wanting another crop sensor body. Plus it is still, and likely the last, a DSLR. It has a spot in my heart because of all the cameras I have bought in the past, I wish one had been a 90D. It didn't happen and now I am retired and have all I need in the way of photographic gear. It's a great camera and worthy of  a look.

EB

Thank you. i'll still give it a look. I have heard good things about the 90D. The features in the R7 seems to fit well with what i'm doing now. I appreciate the suggestion!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I know if I was buying today and had a bunch of EF lenses (which I do) I would certainly buy the 90D over the R7. I don't like, I never liked, adapters. The 90D is a well built camera too. Way better than your Rebel.

EB
Announcements