cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lens Weight Limit on Canon RP?

beccacleveland
Apprentice

I am considering buying the RF 28-70 for my Canon RP. I worried that the lens would be too heavy for the body since it is a lightweight camera and a heavy lens. Does anyone know if there is a weight limit to this body?

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There is no problem with this setup.  If you are holding your camera properly with two hands, one will be cradling the lens.  In the case of a zoom, the same applies.

if you are using a tripod with a heavy lens, you should be using a lens collar and supporting the lens on it.  This provides a balanced safe, setup.. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.7.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tronhard
VIP
VIP

Hi Becca and welcome to the forum! 🙂

As my respected colleague Rick said you should be fine to use this lens on the RP body.  From an engineering point of view the lens mount of the RP is the same as any other R-series camera, and they are designed to take the weight of the Canon native optics.
Again, Rick has good advice on holding the camera - for several reasons, if hand-holding any dedicated DSLR or MILC (like the R-series) the correct way to hold the unit is with the weight taken on your left hand, with the heel of the hand under the body and the fingers curling up around the lens body - as per the following:
00 Holding a Camera.jpg The correct techniquesThe correct techniques

This takes all of the lens weight off the body and there is no torque on the lens mount.   The techniques above also give you three points of contact with the body - eye, and each elbow tucked into the torso - providing what is essentially a tripod effect.
Now, a lot of people show themselves shooting a dedicated camera like a cellphone, but those are very light and have very, very short focal lengths, so they are relatively easy to keep still. It is NOT a good idea for the reasons you are concerned - lens(and body) weight and leverage (torque): such cameras are inherently unstable.
Furthermore, the longer the focal range, the more any lens movement is magnified within the image, the heavier the lens and thus greater the impact  - there is a good reason that the rule of thumb for minimum shutter speed is 1/focal length.   Finally, holding a camera away from the body is unsupported forward flexion, which is also bad for your back, especially with a heavy lens like the one we are discussing.
BadBad No!No!

If, on the other hand, you have a need for the camera plus lens mounted on a tripod, for studio or convenience, then my research indicates that Canon does not, itself, make a tripod mount; but do a search on Google for "RF 28-70 lens bracket holder" and you will come up with some 3rd party offerings for this lens, for example:

Tronhard_2-1719892503381.png

I hope this resolves your concerns!

cheers, TREVOR

The mark of good photographer is less what they hold in their hand, it's more what they hold in their head;
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements