cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD top panel display not showing

Laura_C
Apprentice

HI,

I've turned my 7D MII on this morning and I have no display on the top LCD panel. The light comes on when I power up but not display. I've tried updating the firmware and I've taken the battery out and turned it off and on.

It was working the last time I turned the camera on so not sure what's suddenly happened. 

Thanks for any suggestions! Why do problems always occur on special event days? 😞

Laura

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Does the camera take photos?  Does the rear LED display light up?  

The rear display can show you everything that the top LCD does, by pressing the [INFO] button.  You may want to go into the menus and change the default setting that causes the rear LCD to turn off when you press the shutter.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes the camera takes photos just fine and teh read LCD also displays just fine. I can adjust the settings and see them in the read LCD display I jsut really rely on the top LCD panel when i'm out birding adn switching up quickly. 

@Laura_C wrote:

Yes the camera takes photos just fine and teh read LCD also displays just fine. I can adjust the settings and see them in the read LCD display I jsut really rely on the top LCD panel when i'm out birding adn switching up quickly. 

I have always found the top LCD to be a little out of the way to use "in the moment".  It is small, hard for my bad eyes to read, and mostly out of the way.  I have to turn the camera body in order to see it, more times than not.  I can see the rear panel just by moving the camera away from my face and pressing [INFO].  

You can adjust exposure dynamically from the rear display.  This is one trick that Canon bodies can do that no other manufacturer seems to have noticed, yet.  Real handy when you're using a tripod, which I frequently do shooting macro shots or landscape shots.

I suppose Canon Service still supports the 7D2.  A repair would most likely mean replacing the entire top assembly, from end to end.  Making component level board repairs is labor intensive, and became cost prohibitive for consumer electronics decades ago.

Also, the holiday season always seems to be the time of the year when Canon Support and the Repair Centers are at their busiest.  I guess more people are buying and using cameras at this time of the year than at other times.  If you are not a CPS member, repairs may take up to 2-3 times the length of time they might normally would.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements