cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCD display feed from external source

fernando72
Apprentice

Hello all,

I have a video processing algorithm that I would like to make available to my Canon 5d iii. I know I can get live video from it into my computer, now I would like to take the processed video and feed it back into the camera's LCD display so the user could use it without an external monitor or a laptop display. Is there a way to feed external video into the 5d iii's display?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5

@fernando72 wrote:

Hello all,

I have a video processing algorithm that I would like to make available to my Canon 5d iii. I know I can get live video from it into my computer, now I would like to take the processed video and feed it back into the camera's LCD display so the user could use it without an external monitor or a laptop display. Is there a way to feed external video into the 5d iii's display?

Thanks.

Since you have a 5D3, you probably have a copy of the user's manual. If not, you can download it from the Canon Web site. Since it's unlikely that many of us will have needed to research that trick, the manual is apt to be your best bet.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Well I should have mentioned in my question that I researched extensively google before posting here, and it goes without saying that I have read the manual of my 5d iii. Since it's a peculiar thing I want to do, I'm hoping on this forum to get an answer from someone who has come up with a way to do this and would like to share. Not to say I don't appreciate you taking the time to contribute:-)

cale_kat
Mentor

@fernando72 wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks.

I know of no way to feed a video signal to a 5Diii. The LCD screen is not a display device for external devices.

Thinking outside the bucket, so to speak, you could save the processed feed to a memory card (sd or cf format) and attempt to replay through the camera. Of course, this might void your warranty. (You're probably a better judge than I of the consequences of feeding a signal altered from that the camera was designed to display.)

I love that you've written an algorithim. That sounds like micro-surgery for the photographers. 🙂

Thank you, cale_kat. I believe I will have to use an external monitor, as real time is what I need. Just out of curiosity though, why would I void the warranty by replaying files on my memory card?

@fernando72 wrote:

Thank you, cale_kat. I believe I will have to use an external monitor, as real time is what I need. Just out of curiosity though, why would I void the warranty by replaying files on my memory card?

Heck, I don't know. I haven't a clue what your algorithm does. Just thinking about it sort of scrambles my brain 🙂 I can't image what it might do to your camera's "brain".

Good luck.

Announcements