cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a Canon Eos (T4i, T5i) camera digital file transmitter avaialible? Please help!

colleenautumn
Contributor

Is there a Canon Eos (T4i, T5i) camera digital file transmitter avaialible?  These models tlisted for Canon all cost $600 + and up all say they are only compatible with with the pro models.  Is there a another brand or model that works with the lower end DSLR Eos rebel models that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?  Please help.

13 REPLIES 13

hsbn
Whiz

I've heard the Wifi SD card may resolve your problem and they're much cheaper.

http://www.eyefi.com/products/prox2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

OMG you may have just changed my life!  This looks perfect.  Why does no one know about these?!?  Now I know what I'm getting for Xmas.  Thank you so much for the info!

People know about them.   More would probably know about them if it was all it is cracked up to be.  The transmission speed is slow, so for those of us that shoot RAW it's just too slow to be functional.  The range also isn't fantastic, and it eats up your battery - though any WiFi will do that.

Some people use it and like it, I just find it too cumbersome for my workflow.  My camera (6D) even has WiFi built in, and I don't use it to transfer files (I use it for shooting, but not transfering).  I prefer to just wait till I get home, stick the card in the reader, and grab a beer while I wait for the download.  YMMV.

The EyeFi cards are pretty cheap though.  Cheap enough to give it a shot and see if it works for you.  If it does, great.  If not, you're not out $600.   BTW, there's a product called CamRanger, that is half the price of any of the Canon branded options.  It's still a bit expensive to use it to just transfer images, but it allows you to control your camera via tablet or smartphone.

Amazon offers 30 day return on the EyeFi, so if he doesn't like it, he just needs to pay to ship it back, not $60 :D.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Check them out well before you buy. I think most people will find they don't like them.  IMHO, none of the wi-fi works very good.

If distance is the reason you want wi-fi, you can get powered USB cables and shoot 75 or more feet away from your computer.

If you just hate cables forget this.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I have an EyeFi card.  I bought mine with the idea that I could use it a bit like "tethered" shooting (images show up on my remote device within a couple of seconds of taking the image.)  But without the wire.

It turns out the implementation is very slow.

The radio would normally deplete the battery much faster than would normally happen.  To help battery life, the device keeps the radio "off" until it has work to do.  The card has local storage and keeps track of which images have been completely tranmistted and which have not.

But it wont transmit WHILE you use the camera.  You have to stop shooting (you can't use any controls on the camera.  Don't use any buttons or dials at all or you'll force the radio to switch off again.

You shoot, then wait several seconds (it seems to be about 5 seconds) and if you have allowed the camera to remain idle for that time it will switch on the radio and start transmitting images.

JPEG images take many seconds to transmit per image.  RAW images take... what seems like an ETERNITY for each image.

I've not specificaly timed it, but it was painful enough that it disturbs the flow of shooting.  I would have been happy if I could have just kept shooting while it silently transmitted in the background and I could go review the images in a minute or so.  But it can't multi-task.  That means you cannot do anything but wait while it transmits or your images will never show up.

The idea of WiFi sounds great... but in practice it's painful enough that few people use it.

The WiFi modules for Canon's pro bodies are completely different and don't have these issues.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Wow that is really a bummer.  I've looked up reviews of these wifi cards since the first comment about them, and it is very 50/50 with many saying the same thing you are.  Very disappointing.  I guess if I can return the card it may be worth trying as it is not a huge investment, but man why isnt' there something more seemless than what you are describing?@#$%

Any other reviews of these cards or suggests of other products is greatly apreciated.

What is it, exactly, you wish to accomplish?  Just put photos on your computer with out wires?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Primarily wirelessly transfer images to my phone for easy sharing to friends and family.  Also to my tablet, and lastly my computer would be a bonus.  I am no pro photographer, simply a recreational "weekend" photographer if you will that simply wishes to use my DSLR more often while having it more convenient and connected like my phone.  I'm that annoying person that let's images sit inside the camera for months before I get around to finding the cord, downloading the files, organizing them and finally sharing them.  Friends I travel with surely hate me.  I find myself going back to my iPhone more and more for it's convenience aspects and wish to simple use my camera more often, learn as much as I can, and share often.

Thanks for the help.

-C-

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements