cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Canon T7 a good choice for first camera.

s1helly
Apprentice

As a kid i always had point and shoot cameras and always wanted a DSLR or a more professional camera. I know the Canon T7 isn't a professional but it still takes decent pics for most things right and isn't really seen as outdated or a horrible choice? I found one and i'm debating on getting it if i can get it for the right price. It only comes with the 18-55mm lens but i figure thats ok for now and i can always get a 75-300mm later on to go with it.

I only want it for picture taking i won't be shooting video with it. I'm not sure how much different it is compared to say a more professional camera which ever model that would for Canon. The one video i seen said it has the same image processor as the higher level Canon at the time but its just not great for action shots which im ok with. I'm not sure what else to get i think its a good camera thats not really out of date.

When professional photographers post pictures in magazines, or upload to blogs and professional sites like say Natgeo i know they arent using a T7 but I'm guessing some form of photo editing is done to them to make them look as good as they do correct? A camera can take great pictures but i've been relearning photoshop and its pretty cool how you can change the look of a picture from good to amazing in a few clicks with correcting the colors,saturation, contrast, tone ect.

My guess is there's not alot of pictures posted these days that aren't edited unless someones just posting stock photos that are unedited.

As you can probably guess i don't know alot about phtotography but would like to learn i just don't wanna get a camera thats not seen as great. I don't really have the money for a $2000 DSLR and i'm not sure how much greater they are for still pictures.

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

"Any camera is better than no camera"...  (credit ebiggs1)

First camera, and first investment...  todays landscape.  I'd buy mirrorless. If you can swing $1k ~ $1379, mirrorless is within your reach.  The R10 with 18~45 is $1099, with a 18~150mm $1379 < My Choice

Given this is your first purchase, you will get a huge return on investment spending more upfront today instead of dropping $479 on a T7 with a kit lens.  You might grow out of it more quickly than you think, and its already a depreciating asset.  A mirrorless body will out perform it at every level and be something you can grow into and invest in further (lenses).  The T7 will be a dead end.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I have a T7 that I bought with a kit (big mistake as I didn't know of the community). It's not a professional camera by far but serves me well for the money. If I could swing the $1k-1379, I would upgrade. As Shakespeare said, "Aye. There's the rub." Others will chime in here. I'm a freelance writer and photographer (sort of) and no editor in 4-1/2 years has been critical of my photos to date. I had one ask to change the ratio for his online news. No problem as the  manual helped there. Good luck as you have a big decision here. Let us know what direction you went.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting that you mention NatGeo. The magazine has been around for decades. I'm curious what photographers used in the olden days before DSLR, mirrorless and Photoshop, etc. Again, good luck in making a decision.

John

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

They used film..  Canon, Pentax, Minolta, amongst others.   😀

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Ah, yes, the primitive good ol' days. Amazing what photographers like Ansel Adams and others were able to accomplish. 

John
Announcements