cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Canon 80D still worth it today?

gomenlo
Apprentice

Thinking to upgrade from my 1100D and found a second hand 80D. I don't shoot anything specific yet and want to have the option to try out different forms of photography.

Is the 80D still worth getting in today's age of mirrorless cameras?

4 REPLIES 4

Teacherbytes
Contributor

I recently traded my 80D for an R6 Mark II mainly because I have been wanting to go full-frame mirrorless and have nothing to do with the 80D. If I could have afforded it, I would have kept the 80D because it is a great APS-C camera that I loved shooting sports and landscapes with. It is built like a tank and served me well right up to when I traded it for my current R6 Mark II. If you can get a good deal on a used 80D go for it.

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:
The 80D is one of my favourite crop-sensor DSLRs.  I have had a lot over the years, including the later 90D, but honestly preferred the 80D because the 24MP sensor is, IMHO, a sweet spot for pixel size and density.  I found the 90D too prone to noise.  While I have mostly moved to the R platform, I have chosen to keep the 80D because it is such a great DSLR.
As far as your current gear goes, it will work with both EF and EF-S lenses - but the kit lenses with that model are not best in class.   Thus, if you sell the 1100D, I would recommend selling the existing lenses with it and getting the 18-135 IS USM as your walk-around unit. It feels great in the hand, blazing fast focus and very sharp, and takes wonderful images.  Depending on what other areas you want to explore you could consider a wider angle 10-20mm, or for wildlife the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary or equivalent Tamron unit.

Here are a few sample images with the 80D and 18-135: all hand-held, available light
80D, 18-135 USM@135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-200080D, 18-135 USM@135mm, f/5.6, 1/200sec, ISO-2000  80D, 18-135 USM@67mm, f/5.6, 1/1250sec, ISO-32080D, 18-135 USM@67mm, f/5.6, 1/1250sec, ISO-320
80D, 18-135 USM@115mm, f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO-160080D, 18-135 USM@115mm, f/5.6, 1/160sec, ISO-1600

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Is the 80D still worth getting in today's age of mirrorless cameras?"

It is a good today as it ever was and that was pretty darn good. Just because they come out with newer and greater it doesn't mean the older cameras stop working. They don't they keep going on as good as ever.

"... you sell the 1100D, I would recommend selling the existing lenses ..."

Don't expect to get much. One thing that does suffer and change is the value of used DSLR as mirrorless takes over. Further in your case don't over pay for the 80D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

megnani
Contributor

The Canon 80D, released in 2016, remains a solid DSLR option today, though its value depends on your specific needs and budget. Here are some points to consider:

### Strengths of the Canon 80D:
1. **Image Quality**: The 24.2 MP APS-C sensor provides excellent image quality, suitable for a variety of photography genres.
2. **Dual Pixel Autofocus (DPAF)**: Offers fast and accurate autofocus in live view and video recording.
3. **Build Quality**: The 80D has a robust, weather-sealed body, making it durable for various shooting conditions.
4. **Ergonomics**: Well-designed with a comfortable grip and intuitive controls.
5. **Battery Life**: Generally good battery performance, allowing for extended shooting sessions.

### Considerations:
1. **Technology Advancements**: Since 2016, camera technology has advanced significantly. Newer models (including mirrorless options) offer better low-light performance, higher resolution, improved autofocus, and additional features like 4K video.
2. **Video Capabilities**: While the 80D offers good 1080p video, it lacks 4K recording, which is a standard feature in newer models.
3. **Size and Weight**: Being a DSLR, it is bulkier and heavier compared to more compact mirrorless cameras.

### Alternatives to Consider:
1. **Canon EOS 90D**: A direct successor with improved specs, including 32.5 MP sensor, 4K video, and better overall performance.
2. **Mirrorless Options**: Canon EOS M50 Mark II or Canon EOS R10 offer more modern features in a more compact form factor.
3. **Other Brands**: Sony, Nikon, and Fujifilm also have competitive models in the same price range with advanced features.

### Conclusion:
The Canon 80D is still a capable camera for photography and certain types of videography, particularly if you find a good deal on a used or discounted new model. However, if you are looking for the latest technology and features, exploring newer cameras, especially mirrorless options, might be more beneficial.

click here to view the gallery
Announcements