cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ImageBrowser EX or Digital Photo Professional

mitchbooth
Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I'm brand new to DSLR's and have purchased the Canon D70 for my first camera.

I'm shooting photo's in JPEG for simplicity.  I'm a bit confused on what software I should be using to manage the photos coming off the camera.  I find myself deleting half the photos I take.  I'm working my way out of auto into Aperture and shutter priority modes.

Canon gave me the EOS utility which I guess I MUST use to get the pictures into the PC.   This is where I'm then able to choose ImageBrowser EX, Picture Style Editor or Digital Photo Professional in order to organize the photos.  I have also purchased the Adobe Premier/Photoshop Elements 12 CD as I want to be able to edit some video.

Any help on which program to use to manage the photos would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mitch

4 REPLIES 4

cicopo
Elite

Imagebrowser or Adobe can be your library / download manager. DPP is for editing RAW files & converting them to jpg's etc. Picture Style editor is an editor for modifying the different styles of jpg your camera can produce. You edit the software that will work IN CAMERA which then takes the RAW data & created the jpg you download. You can do the same thing in DPP from the RAW WITHOUT loosing the data as you would letting the camera do the conversion. In DPP you can create a jpg in every Picture Style the program has PLUS still have the original RAW file to work on any time you'd like.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

hsbn
Whiz

You can use Photoshop Element and ditch the Canon software to keep thing simple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You do not have to use Canon's software to retrieve the images from your camera -- they provide that software as a convenience to you, but it is not a requirement that you use it.

ImageBrowser EX is a library utility.  Digital Photo Professional is an image adjustment utility (especially useful for RAW images).  EOS Utility does remote remote camera control, image retrieval, and can apply some settings to the camera (e.g. the "Onwer Info" can only be updated in the camera using EOS Utility.)

If your computer has an SD card slot (or if you have an external SD card reader) you can also put the memory card into the slot and copy the images directly off the card.

Though you can put the memory card into an SD reader ... formatting of the card should only be done using the camera menus. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"You can use Photoshop Element and ditch the Canon software to keep thing simple."

This is the correct answer.  Smiley Happy  PSE 12 will do everything most photographers need or want.  It is way easier and way more versitile.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements