cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Photos

tfreeze
Apprentice

Hello, I work for a travel agency and we use the Rebel T6 for pass*port photos. We have tried multiple settings in order to reduce shadows behind the ears/neck of our clients however, we keep running into that shadow issue. Right now I have it set on Manual Exposure with low apreture and 0 flash exposure. Are there any specific settings I should alter in order to get great headshots?

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What are you using for a flash?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@tfreeze wrote:

Hello, I work for a travel agency and we use the Rebel T6 for pass*port photos. We have tried multiple settings in order to reduce shadows behind the ears/neck of our clients however, we keep running into that shadow issue. Right now I have it set on Manual Exposure with low apreture and 0 flash exposure. Are there any specific settings I should alter in order to get great headshots?

To get the effect that you want you need to have a setup something like this.  You will need to use a diffuser and tilt the head up to reflect off the ceiling.  Most tilt-head flash units have a built-in diffuser but if not you could use something like baking paper to create the effect.   You should be able to use E-TTL flash setting.Flash Setup.jpg

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The flash is your problem. If you can, avoid using the flash at all. A well lighted office should provide enough light for the T6 to get you good ID shots.  A tripod will help so you can slow the SS if needed.

No flash.

_OS10074.jpg

For a ID photo or yearbook photo this will work very well.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I would normally agree wholeheartedly but I ran foul of the UK pass port office when my photos (taken in what I would have thought was a well-lit office in a mall) were  rejected because they didn't like the shadows of my eyes and neck - apparently it fought their facial ID software or something.  I went back to the store where I got it done and they tried a second time - rejected again.  Finally I took my own photo in available light from a diffused window behind the tripod of my own camera.  The shop printed the photos and finally they were accepted.  Go figure...

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

" I took my own photo in available light from a diffused window behind the tripod of my own camera."

That, my friend, was the intent of my post. Avoid flash if at all possible.  Not just avoid, do what ever you have to to avoid using a flash.

EB

I have done 1,000's of yearbook photos and lot's of CC photos and some **bleep** photos and never had one rejected.

Available natural diffused light is always best

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I took my own photo in available light from a diffused window behind the tripod of my own camera."

That, my friend, was the intent of my post. Avoid flash if at all possible.  Not just avoid, do what ever you have to to avoid using a flash.

Hi Ernie

I totally agree about the flash.  I had in my mind that most travel agencies are in malls, and malls are not reowned for having lots of natural light - hence my post.  Absolutely use diffuse available light from behind the camera if you can!!!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements