cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am wanting to upgrade from my canon 50d. I am looking at the new 6d and 70d. any suggestions?

kmcmahan
Contributor

I shoot a lot of sports and in low lighting or where flash is not premitted. I also am not sure about a full fram lens. Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although I don't have a 50D, it is a pretty nice camera. I have one friend with one and from what I have seen it is a capable camera. I doubt a 70D is going to yield you much.

But a 6D, although not my favorite camera, would be a better choice, IMHO, of course. Smiley Happy  And in your case, is exactly the person Canon has aimed the 6D at. It is their entry level FF.

FF and crop bodies each have their place. Strong points and weak points. There are other features of the newer bodies to consider also. LikeDIGIC5processorsforinstance.

Go try a Canon 6D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cicopo
Elite

What lenses do you currently own? 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I have a tamron.

Is it for crop bodies ONLY? If so you'll need to shop fora replacement if you go full frame.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

What is a full frame lens?

Lenses designed to fit Canon's EF mount are considered full frame because they permit light to cover a sensor that is the same size as the area used in 35 mm camera format. Crop bodies have a smaller sensor and use EF-S lenses BUT they can also use EF mount lenses. Lenses made specifically for use on crop bodies don't work properly on full frame bodies (EF mount). Sigma & Tamron make lenses for both EF & EF-S setups. 

So if I buy the 6D with a lens on it, I should be fine, and see a huge difference im my images compared to the 50D. 

Also will I still need a external flash?

A difference, MAYBE: A huge difference,UNLIKELY unless the lens you use on the 50D is crap. Where you may see an improvement is at higher ISO's or in very low light AF performance. There will also be an improvement with (I think it comes with ) the 24-105 L IS lens because it's a very good lens. However the same lens should show an improvement on the 50D too

What’s this world coming to?  eBiggs is recommending a 6D, a camera he said he could never recommend to anyone, and I’m going to not recommend it.

I own a 6D, I think it’s a fantastic camera, and I think that (with the exception of well lit scenarios), the difference from a 50D is huge.  I think calling it an entry level full-frame is misleading at best, as it makes it sound like a beginner’s camera, which is nonsense.

All that said, the 6D’s Achilles heal is the focus system; the 6D is not designed for sports.  I’ve captured sporting events with my 6D, and it works, but the yield isn’t going to be as high as other options.  If your primary use is sports you should have a good look at your needs and budget.  Unless you have the cash to step up to something like a 5d3 or 1dX, you’re going to have to make a compromise.  Do you push the limits of the high ISO performance of your camera, or the autofocus system? 

Although the 6D will allow a significant bump up in ISO performance, you have an AF system that wasn’t designed for fast moving subjects, and you have the “anti-crop” factor of a full frame.  Usually in sports you always want more reach, the 6D will give you less reach than you’re used to on your 50D, and getting it back can be a very expensive process.  By the sounds of it I think you need to research full frame, and EF telephoto lenses before you make a switch.

Alternately, perhaps you invest your money in a decent telephoto?  Something faster that can allow your current camera to shoot a slightly lower ISO.  As I said, it’s a compromise.  If you want to go full frame be prepared to spend at least $3,000 to get a reasonable sports setup.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements