cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am currently looking into buying a new DSLR camera. I need some advice.

samfdanke
Apprentice

I am looking for a DSLR camera. I need a good one for filming. I was loking mainly at the rebel series. This is my first DSLR camera so i dont know a lot about them. Most of my friends have the T3i but i was looking into the new rebel SL1. WHich one doi you think would be better? Are there any other cameras i should look into? Any advice would help.

5 REPLIES 5

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

If you want to shoot video, get the SL1 with the 18-55mm STM or 18-135mm STM lens because the SL1 has better Auto Focus during video recording than the T3i.

If you can afford it, the 70D would be even better for video.  

(The T4i, and T5i both have  "Hybrid AF" which is optimized for Auto Focus during video recording)  

(The SL1 has Hybrid CMOS AF II which is slightly better) 

(The 70D has  Dual Pixel CMOS AF which is even better)

Mike Sowsun

Thanks I think i might go for the rebel SL1

Make sure you try one first.  They are way too small for my liking.  IMHO, of course.

There is more to buying a DSLR than any one spec.  They are a combined set of specs. Make sure you check all of them not just focus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

GATphoto
Apprentice
My vote would be t5i. The screen tilt is going to be useful for video. If you have the cash go 70d.
6d • T3i • 15mm f2.8 fisheye • 35mm f2 is • 24-70mm f2.8 L mk i • 70-200mm f2.8 IS L mk ii • 600ex-rt

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The 70D has, hands down, easily the best auto-focus system while shooting video of any DSLR on the market today.  This isn't just a tiny bit better than other cameras... the difference is really big.  

The T3i has no auto-focus during video.  None.  It wont even try.   You can press the asterisk (*) button on the back of the camera while shooting video and it will refocus on demand each time you do.  But this focus system has to "hunt" and iterate its way to better focus.  The 70D just continuously keeps everything in focus and uses a much smarter system that doesn't not need to hunt and iterate to improve focus.

The SL1's big feature is it's compact size.  People with large hands tend to not like it's tiny size.  I expect people with small-ish hands probably like it (I've known a lot of people who don't like DSLR cameras because they're too big for their hands.)

The T5i is going to be like the T3i in that you don't get true continuous auto-focus during video and it does have to hunt & iterate to improve focus.   But since it has a touch screen, you can touch the screen to bring focus to that area (but you'll see it perform iterations to improve focus as it does this and this can be very distracting in your video -- audiences will know your camera is obviously hunting for focus.)

If you're buying a camera with the intention of shooting video and not using it for still photography, you should consider just getting a real video camera (those are purpose built for the job).  But if you go for a DSLR instead (usually because you get a much better lens selection and the lenses are more affordable) then the 70D is probably the top choice on the market.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements