cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I view my 6D raw files before I open them in post processing?

lhdvries
Contributor

How can I view my 6D raw files after I load them on my computer & before I open them on a post processing Program?

I have no problem doing that with my 1DX,1DIV or 5Dmk III. This problem exist with any sdhc card I use on the 6D, but not on any other camera with the same cards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your computer doesn't have camera RAW support installed for a 6D.  RAW isn't really a standard-format... it's more of a concept.  Every individual camera has it's own unique RAW format (even though they all have the same .CR2 extension).

Each time a new camera comes out, companies that make RAW processing software will make an update available that adds that camera.  You'll need to get that update and install it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Your computer doesn't have camera RAW support installed for a 6D.  RAW isn't really a standard-format... it's more of a concept.  Every individual camera has it's own unique RAW format (even though they all have the same .CR2 extension).

Each time a new camera comes out, companies that make RAW processing software will make an update available that adds that camera.  You'll need to get that update and install it.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Agree with the above answer. You need to update any programs you view or edit with.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thks - I reinstalled my Microsoft Codec & it is back to normal.

amfoto1
Authority

"You need to update any programs you view or edit with"

That's likely correct. .

It depends upon what s'ware you use to view and edit... just go look for an update for it online. What happens is a new camera comes along and the s'ware needs to be tweaked to properly recognize and work with it. Many s'ware publishers also provide compatibility information, so you can check with them before downloading and installing.

If you are using Canon softwares, simply update to what was supplied with your 6D, or go online and download the latest and greatest to install.  

Unfortunately sometimes it means buying a newer version of your software. Adobe Elements, Lightroom and Photoshop, in particular, require this fairly frequently. For example, if you have Lightroom 1, 2 or 3, to be able to work with images from a 6D you will need to upgrade to at least Lightroom 4.3. 

If you only need to see previews of your images... such as icon/thumbnails in Windows Explorer in various recent Microsoft operating systems... there are "codex" that you can install. These are small, add-on s'wares. 

Canon offers a free codex for 32 bit versions of Explorer. That can be found on Canon's website. However if, like many of us now, you are running a 64 bit operating system, the last time I looked the Canon codex wasn't compatible. To be able to see RAW right in Explorer on my PCs I bought an inexpensive codex called FastPictureViewer and installed it. It was only $15 (x3 for me, since I have a desktop and two laptops). 

An advantage of FastPictureViewer is that it works with nearly all camera manufacturers' RAW files... I now can see thumbnails from most models of Nikons, Olympus, Pentax, and more, in addition to my Canon DSLRs. That's handy for me since I often work with other photographers using other camera systems.

FastPictureViewer allows me to see image preview thumbnails as icons in Explorer. It also allows me to view RAW files a bit larger in Windows Photo Viewer. However, Photo Viewer isn't color calibrated and doesn't allow for any editing. So it's only useful for quick checks of images, a bit larger than they are displayed as thumbnails, and can't be used to judge colors accurately. Still, it's fast and handy to be able to do these things without having to open Lightroom or Photoshop. .

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have no problem doing that with my 1DX,1DIV or 5Dmk III." And you shoot RAW....................

You have these world class cameras and you don't use Lightroom and/or Photoshop?  Curious?  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hi eBiggs1 --- Not sure about your "solution", but just to satisfy your curious nature, I do utilize Lightroom 4.4, CS6 & PSE12. When the Raws would not open in my viewer program it just make my "culling out" operation a bit more cumberson.

Yes, OK, great. It just makes sense for anybody that uses a 1Dx.

But the viewing process with LR and/or Bridge is very simple. Yes, no?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements